Detroit October 12, 2017
10 Unwritten Rules Every Detroiter Lives By ‘Til Death
Here in Detroit, there are just some things you do and don’t do. From sports teams to defending the Motor City when someone bad-mouths it, here are ten unwritten rules every Detroiter lives by ’til death.
1. We always root for the home team, no matter which sport.
Detroiters love their Lions, Tigers, and Red Wings. No matter what their records show, we will always root for the home team.
2. It's okay to run a red light....
Well, it's not really
okay to run a red light, but if you're ever in a rough neighborhood in the middle of the night, nobody will think twice if you look both ways and keep on going.
3. We locate our city by using our hand.
Since Michigan is shaped like a mitten, it's easier to show someone where you're from by just illustrating it on your hand.
4. We will always defend Detroit whenever someone
attempts to say something negative.
Most people with negative opinions have never even been to the Motor City.
5. We are practically required to shout the Journey line: "Born and raised in South Detroit."
Detroiters love to shout out this part of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin,'" even though we very well know there isn't such thing as "South Detroit," although there is a Down River area. Regardless, we'll always be singing this song.
6. We go to Opening Day because it's a ritual.
Even if you're not going to the stadium, there are tons of bars and restaurants that open their doors early for Tigers fans.
7. Detroiters celebrate their 19th birthday in Canada.
It's legal to drink when you're 19 in Canada, which means we've probably all took the short drive there to celebrate.
8. We don't mention the "team down the road."
Never, under any circumstance, should they be mentioned.
9. We never put ketchup on our Coney dogs.
The classic Coney dog consists of chili, onions, and mustard. That's it.
10. We never give up.
Detroit has faced a lot of hardships, but we're in rebuild mode and it's only looking up from here.
What other rules should we add to this list? Let us know in the comment section below!
Check out these
11 things people miss when they leave Detroit – you might be missing some of things in the Motor City if you’ve ever had to say goodbye!