10 Ways Maryland Is America's Black Sheep... And We Love It That Way
Most of us have heard the term black sheep, which is used to describe a person who is a bit of an outcast or doesn’t necessarily fit in with others. Marylanders are definitely unique and do things that you won’t find out-of-staters doing. If you are living in Maryland, you know there are some things only people from Maryland will understand. Take a look at this list that proves Maryland is America’s black sheep… and we love it that way.
Some things about living in Maryland may be unusual, but we wouldn’t have it any other way. 🙂
What are some other reasons Maryland is America’s black sheep? Be sure to also check out this list of sarcastic reasons why you should never, ever move to Maryland. If you find yourself in Baltimore and want a unique experience, try your hand at creating a glow-in-the-dark splatter painting. It is one of those fun and fantastic things you probably won’t find in many places other than Maryland.
More to Explore
Living In Maryland
What are some fun facts about Maryland?
Every state has some things that make it unique. From weird quirks to interesting historical facts. Here are some fun facts about Maryland that you may not have known about:
- To hike to Hoye-Crest, the highest point in Maryland, you have to start in Silver Lake, West Virginia.
- Maryland has an official state sport and you'll never go what it is - jousting!
- The town of Havre de Grace is considered the decoy capital of the world. They even have a museum dedicated to hand-carved ducks, geese, and waterfowl of all kinds.
- Maryland is the only state to have its flag design be based on British heraldry.
- The Ouija Board was invented in Maryland by Elijah Wood in the early 1890s. His gravestone even looks like an Ouija Board.
Read more about these interesting Maryland tidbits and discover a few more in our article dedicated to quirky facts that sound made up but are completely true.
What are some weird laws in Maryland?
Just like every state, Maryland has its share of weird and unusual laws that leave us scratching our heads. Here are some of our favorite weird laws in Maryland:
- It is illegal to allow thistles to grow in your yard.
- Men may not buy drinks for female bartenders.
- It is prohibited to eat while swimming in the ocean.
- If you are of the female persuasion, you may not go through your husband's pockets while he is sleeping.
- If you are living in Caroline County you cannot pretend to tell the future.
- And here is a particularly weird law - in Baltimore it is actually illegal to wash your sink no matter how dirty it gets!?
We've barely scratched the surface when it comes to strange Maryland laws. Check out even more puzzling laws in our featured article.