Kansas August 26, 2017
8 Silly Sayings That Will Only Make Sense If You’re From Kansas
Sometimes when you move to a new state, it’s like they don’t speak the same English as you do. Or, if you’ve been a lifetime native, sometimes you get people looking at you like you’re crazy. However, these things are just something that come with the territory, sometimes. Silly sayings like these are just habit. Do you know of any more?
1. "I just moved from Osawatomie to Shoenchen." Those are real towns, right?
Hey, sometimes they're spelled crazier than they're said. If that's any consolation, anyways.
2. "The Ar-Kansas river" Because it's our river when it's here.
Yeah, we get a lot of flack for that, but it's almost like Missouri not being able to choose between pronouncing it missou-ree and missou-ruh. Same thing, basically.
3. When you "Pitch a fit" instead of a ball.
Also known as "pitching a hissy fit" if you really get into it. I'm talking tears, screaming, the works.
4. "Storm chasing," which means you're tornado chasing.
We're insane, to some people. But we really like tornadoes, despite their destructive tendencies.
5. "Kaw" Not as the crow speaks, but the Kansas River.
This one has a lot to do with Kaw indians, and less to do with us shortening words.
6. "Breadbasket" Not like Olive Garden, but our location.
We're proud of our farmers, and we should be. Do you even know how much wheat we produce yearly?
7. "Kellogg" Not the cereal, but the road in Wichita that no-one knows how to merge onto, apparently.
No, really. There's lifetime Wichitans who can't seem to get it right either.
8. "Puppy Chow" Not for dogs, but for humans!
It's delicious and not at all nutritious. Chocolate, chex, and powdered sugar make a great marriage in this treat!
In addition to these silly sayings, here’s some
habits you just can’t take out of the Kansan.