Kansas July 23, 2017
15 Undying Habits That Prove You Can Never Take Kansas Out Of The Kansan
Kansas is a place full of good country folks and good country food. Besides barbecue, (which we know is a must-have even when you don’t live here,) there are a few things you’ll keep doing even after you leave. You really can’t take the Kansas out of the Kansan, when it comes to these undying habits!
1. Looking at the horizon to see your destination approaching.
Sometimes, you just get used to seeing your destination creep up over the horizon. However, in most states, you'll just have to let go of that.
2. Taking pictures of a particularly good sunset... which might be every night.
Can you believe that there are states where people
don't take photos of the sunset every night? What do they do with all that extra time?
3. Feeling homesick from the smell of a cow trailer.
Whether they've been recently washed or not, they'll always smell like home. Grass and cows, really.
4. Having a second freezer just for meat.
I don't know many non-Kansans that hoard meat unless they're from waaay up North. However, sometimes you just decide to buy half a cow's worth of beef. It happens.
5. Having conversations with strangers... comfortably.
We Kansans usually have a lot of heart, and a healthy interest in others.
6. The "farmer's wave"
Almost unseen in our bigger cities, this little habit is a good reminder of how we greet others on the road in Kansas. Thankfully, this is shared with many of our Midwestern friends.
7. "I don't have an accent."
You'll always feel like the other people around you have the
real accent. You just speak normally, right?
8. Being neighborly
There's just no reason not to be friends with your neighbors. Even if they don't see it the same way every time.
9. Ending every meeting with "Have a good one!"
It's a habit that we've picked up from other Kansans, but who knows where it came from?
10. Hopping in your car at the mere mention of a tornado.
In addition to being a little crazy for a good storm, we somehow always want to chase one.
11. Gifting a casserole to someone just because.
Whether it's a new baby or a recent family loss, there's no reason why you can't gift a casserole.
12. Not trusting four wheel drive in the snow.
Sometimes it's just not a good idea. In Kansas, you don't often get the crunchy snow needed to use four wheel drive correctly. Going slow is better than the ditch, right?
13. Rolling our eyes at any mention of Oz
This one might look strange if they don't know you're from Kansas, but it's more of an involuntary reaction at this point.
14. Pulling over to help someone on the road.
Sometimes it's not exactly safe to stop to help when you're alone on the road, but the instinct's still there.
15. Driving down the middle of a dirt road when no one's around.
If you can't see a dust cloud, there's no reason why you can't make the drive a little easier on your suspension. Especially if the road's been rained on recently.