Kansas May 29, 2017
13 Awkward Moments Every Kansan Has Endured At Least Once
Living in Kansas can sure be different day to day, but most of the time it isn’t so bad. Occasionally though, awkward moments arise that just wouldn’t happen to other states. Here’s a few times where being a Kansan might be a little… awkward.
1. When you have to explain that we "share" Kansas City with our neighbor.
Even if we think it's ours, yes, more than half of it is over there. We don't know why, either.
2. Getting lost in an unfamiliar grocery store that's still part of your favorite chain.
Why can't they all just have the same layout? Why is that so hard? I trusted you!
3. Traveling out of state (or just into Johnson County) and people giving you looks when you say "y'all" in a sentence.
Y'all just don't understand that it's easier to talk this way sometimes.
4. When you're out and about, and your flip flop breaks.
You have two options. You have to slide your foot along to keep it on, or you can abandon it for another 99 cent pair. It's up to you.
5. Asking how far away somewhere is and getting an answer in miles, not minutes.
Then you have to sit there and try to figure out how long that will take, which speeds you'll be doing, all that stuff.
6. When people in the city forget how to drive in any weather except sunny.
It can be snow, rain, or fog, but you bet there's accidents all over the place, and people forget how to merge lanes.
7. The dance we do when we walk out of our homes in the morning -- directly into a spiderweb.
All while saying something like "ppbth" to get it out of our mouths. Unless you're screaming, that is.
8. Accidentally insulting Oklahoma or Missouri in front of someone from there.
9. When you order sweet tea and they only have tea and sugar packets.
Sometimes I don't think they understand it's not the same as sweet tea anymore. It doesn't dissolve in cold tea! Are you nuts?
10. When you thought you dressed accordingly.
Mother nature must like to do experiments on Kansans, because some days I just don't understand what's going on.
11. Standing outside your car (that's only been in the parking lot for an hour) waiting for it to air out so you can breathe in there.
Why do we live in a place where the air hurts our faces?
12. Trying to make plans on Sunday with both "early church" and "VERY early church" friends.
One is free after 9 or 10, the other one will be busy until after noon. Plans are impossible!
13. When someone comments on your "southern accent" but you know better.
No accents here, bucko. You're probably the one with the accent.
If you’re in the mood for more “Just Kansas” things, why not check out
this list of possible side effects from growing up here in the Sunflower State?