Kansas May 17, 2017
13 Weird Side Effects Everyone Experiences From Growing Up In Kansas
For us who have grown up here, or spent a long part of our lives here, you can always tell. There’s some things that growing up here just teaches you, whether you know it or not. These weird side effects are just so “Kansas” you’ll realize you can never be separated from your home. How many of these do you think fit you?
1. Drove on the turnpike...and then got back off for gas.
Gas prices on the highway are crazy, am I right?
2. You know how to pronounce Olathe, Shoenchen, Chautauqua and Osawatomie, but your friends don't.
I mean, how hard can it possibly be?
3.Convenience store rivalry.
Dillons is better! No, this one! My home grocery is better!
4. You're open to weird foods, because they've always been normal to you.
If you were wondering, these are what we call "mountain oysters" and they're... definitely not seafood.
5. You know better than to touch your seatbelt in the summer.
Sometimes in the spring too, depending on where you live.
6. The smell of a cow trailer or the animal pen at the fair doesn't bother you a bit.
You get so used to the fair or driving behind one of these suckers that it doesn't even smell all that different anymore.
7. You're a natural hard worker.
You might not have a construction job, but Kansas homes are full of DIY projects.
8. You only buy boots with lifetime guarantees.
If they're not going to last at least 15 years, we don't want em.
9. You automatically roll your eyes when you're on vacation and someone says the line from The Wizard of Oz. You know the line.
"We're not in Kansas anymore!" Oh, hush.
10. You're ready for any weather, because you have to be.
Carrying a strong umbrella, change of clothes and a jacket in your car is completely normal, if you've got to deal with what we have.
11. You like to photograph all of your favorite sunsets.
That might end up as a lot of photographs. Maybe get a Flickr account?
12. You'll always try being friendly first.
If someone needs help, you'll offer. If they still don't want it, well, that's their fault.
13. There's nowhere you'd rather call your home.
Truly, Kansans are loyal to this beautiful state. What's not to love?
Looking for more great Kansas things? Check out
this list of gorgeous attractions that don’t require a bit of hiking.