The Fascinating Town In Iowa That Is Straight Out Of A Fairy Tale
Just off of Highway 163, about an hour southeast of Des Moines, is the charming Dutch-inspired town of Pella, Iowa. A little over 10,000 people call this gorgeous town home, and for good reason! This fascinating town offers visitors a taste of Holland. Windmills, Dutch letters, a “Tulip Time” festival each spring, and a real canal are just a few of the fairytale-like elements of this amazing Iowa small town.
What are your favorite spots to visit in this area? We’d love to know!
To learn more about the town’s annual tulip festival, visit the official Tulip Time/Visit Pella website.
If you’re looking for more family-friendly activities in Iowa, check out these kid-friendly hikes around the state.
More to Explore
Pella, Iowa Tulip Festival & Related Info
What are some of the most beautiful places in Iowa?
Iowa is full of stunning and photo-worthy sights, both natural and man-made. While not a complete list, some of the most beautiful places in Iowa include small towns, lush state parks, backroads, and hidden geologic gems:
- Beulah Falls
- Crystal Lake Cave
- Dubuque, Iowa
- Effigy Mounds National Monument
- Iowa State Capitol Building
- Lake Okoboji
- Ledges State Park
- Loess Hills National Scenic Byway/Loess Hills Trail Road
- Pella, Iowa
- Pikes Peak State Park
- River Bluffs Scenic Byway
- Waubonsie State Park
Does Iowa have any waterfalls?
Unbeknownst to many, there are dozens of waterfalls in Iowa! Fortunately for visitors and locals alike, many of these gorgeous cascades are located within Iowa’s lush state parks, and are easy to access and enjoy, although the state has plenty of waterfalls tucked away that take a bit of hiking to reach. From roaring cascades to tiered river falls, some of the prettiest waterfalls and waterfall parks in Iowa are:
- Backbone State Park Spillway, Dundee
- Beed's Lake Spillway, Hampton
- Beulah Spring Falls, McGregor
- Big Springs Park, Guttenberg
- Bridal Veil Falls, Pikes Peak State Park, McGregor
- Briggs Woods Waterfall, Webster City
- Duck Creek Waterfall, Bettendorf
- Dunning’s Spring Falls, Decorah
- Ledges State Park, Boone
- MacBride Falls, Solon
- Malanaphy Falls, Decorah
- Siewers Spring Falls, Decorah
- Union Grove Lake Waterfall, Gladbrook
- Willow Creek Waterfall, Mason City