Here Are The 10 Poorest Counties In Iowa
Previously, we did an article on the richest counties in the state, and that left some people wondering just the opposite – what are the poorest counties in Iowa? The U.S. Census Bureau found that these 10 counties are the poorest based on median household income.
Did any of these surprise you? What did you think of the list? If you’ve been to any of these places, let us know what they were like in the comments. While you’re in Iowa, make sure to visit some of the most artsy towns in the state.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.
Places To Live In Iowa
What are the most charming small towns in Iowa?
The most charming small towns in Iowa include:
- Bentonsport. One of the Villages of Van Buren, this lovely town has incredible little shops and some delicious fudge.
- Orange City. This town is full of Dutch-styled buildings and has quaint windmills and a lovely tulip festival every year.
- McGregor. This is a beautiful town that is surrounded by lush, gorgeous forests and is full of old-fashioned brick buildings.
- Elk Horn. This is a town full of Danish culture that has the only operating Danish windmill that isn’t in Denmark.
Discover more about the most charming small towns in Iowa.
What are the most historic towns in Iowa?
The most historic towns in Iowa include:
- Decorah. This town has an amazing historic district with old churches, a carriage house, a brick kiln, and so much more.
- Cedar Rapids. This town has 11 historic districts and 48 buildings that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Walnut Grove Pioneer Village. In the 1860s, this was a stagecoach stop and it has several preserved historic buildings.
- Scotch Grove. This tiny town of only 200 people has a ton of historic buildings and the whole area is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Find out more about the most historic small towns in Iowa.
What are the most delightful small towns in Iowa?
The most delightful small towns in Iowa include:
- St. Donatus. The culture of Luxembourg is seen all over this lovely town in the buildings and at the Kalmes Restaurant, where you can try the cuisine of Luxembourg.
- Bentonsport. This is an old-fashioned town where you can take Amish buggy rides and take in the stunning beauty of this place.
- Dyersville. This beautiful town was where the movie “Field of Dreams” was filmed and it’s filled with small-town charm.
- Le Claire. This is home to Antique Archaeology built by the show “American Pickers” and has the Cody Road Historic District.
Learn more about the most delightful small towns in Iowa.