12 Weird Side Effects Everyone Experiences From Growing Up In Indianapolis
If you grew up in Indianapolis, you know it’s a pretty cool city to call home. Like most places though, there are definitely side effects you’ll experience if you were born and raised a Hoosier. Here are 12 weird side effects everyone experiences from growing up in Indy.
1. You think all cities are just as friendly.
Indy is a pretty friendly city, but that's a unique and rare quality to find in an urban setting. If you grew up here and visited any other large city, you were likely a little shell shocked.
2. You expect to experience all four seasons.
Some seasons might last longer than others, but in this city, we get all four... and we absolutely love it.
3. You expect all cities to have fresh produce year round.
It's one of the perks to living in a city surrounded by farms. Fresh produce all the time!
4. You expect good donuts to be square.
Uh... why would they be round? Can someone explain this?
5. You know the weather can change in an instant.
60 degrees and sunny definitely means there's a chance for snow. We're always prepared.
6. You wear shorts as soon as it warms up to 50 degrees.
People from other cities might not understand, but we know we might as well enjoy it while it lasts!
7. You thought persimmon pudding and sugar cream pie were popular desserts.
So other cities don't have delicious treats like this? Weird...
8. You know that you don't need an ocean to have summer fun.
We don't need fancy lakes and beaches. Eagle Creek is gorgeous and packed full of summer fun!
9. You expect all sandwiches to be pork, breaded, and ridiculously huge.
If it's not a tenderloin, it probably doesn't matter.
10. You can't picture summer without thinking of the State Fair.
It's not summer in Indy until you've been to the State Fair.
11. Your favorite Christmas tree isn't even a tree.
Sure, it's not an
actual tree, but there's nothing that screams Christmas more than this festive display at the Soldiers & Sailors Monument in Monument Circle.
12. No place else will ever feel like home.
There's something special about growing up in the heart of Indiana. Indy may not be considered a major city by some standards, but we have everything we need here and no other place in the world could feel quite the same.
There’s just no place like Indy! What is your favorite part about life in the city? What do you remember most from growing up around here? Share your thoughts in the comments!
For tips on surviving an Indianapolis winter, be sure to check out
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.