This Is What Life In Illinois Looked Like In 1939. WOW.
The year was 1939. The country was still struggling with the economic crisis and, particularly in southern Illinois, times were hard. Yet, life went on, and it looked much like what it looks like today–with some key differences. Here are pictures of what it was like to live in Illinois in 1939.
1. People got haircuts...but they only cost a quarter.
2. Kids played during recess, sans jungle gym.
3. People still had to go to the emergency room.
4. And they still went to church.
5. Ladies visited the market.
6. But they managed to have time to head out to the taverns and dance.
7. People really enjoyed popcorn...at a very reduced price.
8. Mules were still a huge part of American life.
9. Stores still failed when times got hard.
10. And stores deeply discounted prices to retain customers.
11. Politicians struggled to figure out how to keep Illinois afloat through the economic crisis.
12. People were able to start getting back on their feet.
13. Families went through hard times, but their struggles give us the opportunity to flourish today.
There were some lean times in Illinois in 1939, as there were across the country. But they were able to pull through it and helped make our state what it is today!
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.