Georgia June 26, 2017
12 Awkward Moments Every Georgian Has Endured At Least Once
No matter what state you call home, awkward moments are bound to happen. However, for those who reside in the state of Georgia, these awkward moments may just be directed at you. How many of these awkward moments have you endured while living in Georgia?
1. When you tell an out-of-towner that you live in Georgia and they respond with "Oh, I love Atlanta!"
We love Atlanta, too, but there is waaaaaaay more to see here.
2. When someone comments on how Florida beaches are hands-down better than Georgia’s.
What is even more awkward is when you find out that they have NEVER even visited any of the beaches in Georgia. How rude.
3. When someone from up north tells you about barbecue.
Please don't tell us about barbecue. We do it differently down here for a reason.
4. That first sip when you’re visiting another state and you order a sweet tea.
And then adding insult to injury the server puts a few Sweet'n'Low packets on your table for good measure.
5. When you ask if someone if they’ve ever been to Georgia and they say yes. Except it was once. A layover in Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.
That doesn't count. That will never, ever count.
6. When you tell someone you’re from Georgia and they assume that you must know Paula Deen.
Or that you were an extra in Fried Green Tomatoes, or that you've met Jimmy Carter.
7. When you speak, and your Southern accent evokes an "Awwww, I love your accent" and then they ask you to say certain words for their entertainment.
If you are in Georgia visiting and meet a resident who speaks differently than you, then I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're the one with the accent.
8. Visiting other states up north and saying hello to strangers or holding open the door and they clutch their purse a little bit tighter.
Keep doing you, though. Keep smiling, keep holding open doors, and keeping bringing that Southern hospitality to other states with pride.
9. Having to correct anyone who mispronounces your town name.
Hahira, Dahlonega, Smyrna, we could go on and on.
10. Choosing one outfit perfect for Georgia weather and the day decides to throw a giant curveball at you.
It's pretty awkward when you decide flip flops are a good idea and then the weather laughs in your face and drops a foot of snow.
11. Not having bug spray in your home.
Especially during summer. Especially when you have people over. Especially when you send them home looking like they've freshly acquired chicken pox.
12. When someone tells you that your winters can’t be that bad because you’re so close to Florida.
You.Don't.Know.Anything. Our winters can be more brutal than you could imagine. Especially because it happens out of nowhere!
Hopefully you had as much fun with this list as we did. Add some more of your own in the comments! Or in case you missed it, we recently wrote about one of the most unusual, yet enchanting small towns in the state of Georgia. Check it out:
It’s Impossible Not To Love The Most Eccentric Town In Georgia.