Colorado History December 29, 2015
by Annie The 11 Most Insane Things That Happened In Colorado In 2015
Well, Colorado… it’s definitely been an interesting year! They year 2015 showed us our (formerly) favorite airline making an (iffy) attempted comeback, outrageous Broncos ticket prices, and so much more! Let’s elaborate and take a little walk down memory lane as we look back on 11 of the most insane things to happen to Colorado in 2015:
1. The Gold King Mine waste water spill into the Animas River.
In August, personnel from the United States Environmental Protection Agency accidentally released over 3 million gallons of waste water from the abandoned Gold King Mine near Silverton. The waste water turned the river orange and is thought to contain cadmium, lead, and arsenic.
2. Mass murderer James Holmes is found guilty on twenty-four counts of first-degree murder, 140 counts of attempted first-degree murder, one count of possessing explosives, and a sentence enhancement of a crime of violence.
He was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole after jurors were unable to agree on the death sentence.
3. Thousands of goldfish took over Teller Lake in Boulder after somebody allegedly dumped a few of the store-bought fish into its waters.
Thanks to a few hungry pelicans, the problem has been (somewhat) eradicated.
4. A deranged gunman opened fire at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs on November 27th, which killed three and injured nine.
Robert Dear stands trial for the deadly assault.
5. Broncos fans fork over an average $250 a ticket to see their beloved team play during the regular fall season.
I love these boys, but haven't been able to talk myself into the high ticket costs just yet...
6. Denver's ridiculous housing market begins to level out, which makes buying a house a bit sweeter...
...and more affordable.
7. Denver-based Frontier Airlines sees a new CEO, public scandal, complete re-branding, and a reconciliation with Mayor Michael Hancock during a period of one year.
The company has also seen a decrease in customer complaints, which dropped from a 15.84 rate in March to 3.69 complaints per 100,000 enplanements in October.
8. Colorado's unemployment rate drops from 5.4% in April 2014 to 4.2% in March 2015.
9. Colorado’s oil and gas production continues to decrease.
According to the Coloradoan
, "the average number of operating oil and gas rigs in Colorado for the first half of 2015 was 43, while the average number of rigs in the past has been 68 in 2014, 63 in 2013, 65 in 2012 and 72 in 2011."
10. Tickets to Adele's upcoming Denver shows sell out in a matter of minutes.
If you weren't one of the lucky ones to score a ticket, don't worry; you can buy them from third party sites for as little as $5,000 a ticket! *insert giant eye roll here*
11. Finally, an Aspen man "hired" a stuffed owl to represent him as his attorney.
What do you find to be the most insane part of 2015? Let us know in the comments!
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.