Arizona March 10, 2017
11 Things No Self-Respecting Arizonan Would Ever Do
We Arizonans can be a bit of a
weird bunch but we have quite a bit of pride in being home to one of the greatest natural wonders in the world, four impressively unique deserts, a tundra, and some of the greatest readers ever (you!). That said, there are some things that we just won’t tolerate or be caught doing. Wonder what those things might be? Read on to find out!
1. Walking on the pavement in the summer without shoes.
In some areas like Flagstaff, this isn’t so bad and can actually be kind of refreshing in the morning. However, in the areas that get hit with triple-digit temperatures, it’s an absolute nightmare when you realize that you can’t just quickly check the mail without shoes in the middle of the afternoon.
2. Parking your vehicle facing the sun, in the sun, or without a shade in the middle of the afternoon.
Look at those cars roasting. You don’t know agony until you’ve had to wait for your car to cool down in the middle of an Arizona July.
3. While we’re talking about the sun: you wouldn’t hear any Arizonan say that our sunsets or sunrises are just okay.
Are you kidding?
4. Secretly wishing for a day without precipitation.
Nope, most of Arizona is arid. We’ll take all the rain and snow that we can get!
5. Drive right on through a flash flood.
Any self-respecting Arizonan knows better than to wind up on the evening news like this. You know better.
6. Pass up the opportunity to hike, camp, or otherwise enjoy the beautiful nature around us.
Especially this time of year when the temperatures around the state are absolutely beautiful, the sun hasn’t actively trying to burn your face off, and the desert is blooming.
7. Downplay the absolutely impressive beauty of the Grand Canyon.
We can’t give our natural wonder enough praise. Even the ever-adventuring Teddy Roosevelt was overcome with awe when he visited the Grand Canyon.
8. Visit a natural area and leave it trashed.
I want to think it’s tourists from out of state who do this but if you’re an Arizonan who leaves behind trash and other crap when camping or hiking, you should be ashamed of yourself.
9. Root for the Lakers.
Suns or bust, come on!
10. Dine at a well-known national taco chain willingly.
Maybe if it’s 2 a.m. and your usual taco joint is closed for the night and you're
really hungry. But why eat that when you can have the real thing just down the street?
11. Leave the Grand Canyon State to never return.
Even if you’re not from here, this state somehow manages to pull you in and never let go. Stay put because you know this is home.
Did you find yourself identifying with any of these? What else would you add to the list (especially if you’re in northern Arizona)?