Arizona May 19, 2017
13 Legitimate Signs That You Grew Up In Arizona
Depending on where you grew up in Arizona, there are certain sights, sounds, and smells that will take you back to your childhood. Perhaps it was orange groves and slowly disappearing ranches. Or perhaps the smell of pine branches and juniper trees and the sight of puffy clouds. Either way, there are definitely some experiences we’ve all had growing up that are unique to the Grand Canyon state. How many of these can you relate to?
1. You know that no horizon line is complete without some kind of mountain or butte.
Did you know Arizona has more than 200 mountain ranges, plus tons of buttes that stand alone?
2. Spotting a javelina, coyote, or mule deer in your neighborhood isn’t terribly uncommon.
I live in central Phoenix and occasionally spot coyotes running down the street every once in awhile.
3. Rain, snow, or hail calls for a moment (or a few minutes) of pause to watch the weather happening outside!
4. In the summer, you’ll get up around sunrise to do yard work, exercise, or play before that heat gets too intense.
5. The heat in most other places doesn’t feel so bad.
6. You probably won’t be able to bear the humidity in other states and countries though!
Is this what humid looks like? I don’t know!
7. You can’t figure out how others can live with the constant threat of natural disasters.
Hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, blizzards, earthquakes you name it, we rarely experience it.
8. For certain generations of Arizonans, you know of Wallace, Ladmo, and their Ladmo Bags.
9. You know the pain of finding crayons, lipstick, and other items melted in your car.
10. There’s no feeling quite like that moment of walking from 115-degrees outside to a chilly 75-degree indoor environment.
11. At one point in your childhood, you probably believed jackalopes were real.
What other Arizona creatures did you once think were real?
12. If you want to see a dazzling show, just look up at night!
You can still see some stars and planets in Phoenix but some areas of the state are so dark, you can see the Milky Way with the naked eye.
13. You know there’s no other place you’d rather call home.
How many of these could you find yourself relating to? Are there any other signs you can think of that would prove someone grew up in our state?
Want to check out more reasons to love this state? Read
14 Places That Show Off The Unexpected Beauty Of Arizona’s Deserts for a peek at some of the prettiest areas in the state.