Alaska February 26, 2017
21 Things No Self-Respecting Alaskan Would Ever Do
The Alaska life is one that is wildly complex and unique. When outsiders come here, they are oftentimes filled with questions about the way in which we live our lives. But hey – we get it! It’s weird up here. It’s really cold and dark, followed by months on end where it feels like the sun never sets. Not to mention, we do have some pretty rugged style and a fierce level of protectiveness over our beloved traditions. At the end of the day, we just know who we are and we love the place that we are so lucky to call home. Alaska or bust, baby!
1. Go outside during break-up season without a pair of XTRA Tufs. Or, ahem, a wolf pelt.
Because in Alaska, we burly baby!
2. Litter in the backcountry. Or anywhere for that matter.
3. Complain about the amount of daylight during the summertime.
Or when it’s below 0 and bitterly cold outside.
4. Three words: poach wild animals.
The worst EVER!!!
5. Live in the Last Frontier and not own a gun.
6. Go anywhere, anytime without packing an emergency kit.
Or a couple extra layers of clothes.
7. Give our kids a snow-day after just a few inches. Or feet.
Let alone, give the kiddos an excuse to stay in on a weekend when there is snow on the ground.
Get out there and embrace the elements!
8. Freak out about a little rain.
All our Southeast friends know this story all too well.
But then again, if you're really an Alaskan... you probably wouldn't get caught dead holding an umbrella.
9. Call a snowmachine a snowmobile.
Sleds will pass as well.
10. Freak out at the first sign of a storm.
Good thing we packed that rain fly, baby!
11. Or about a volcano eruption or an earthquake.
12. Say anything negative about dog mushing, hockey, cross country skiing or any other state sport staple.
If you don't like what we love, Alaska probably isn't for you.
13. Share their favorite fishing spots.
14. Worry about getting dirty.
We start em' young! Alaskans aren't afraid of a little dirt or mud. It's just part of that epic Alaskan life, baby!
15. Go anywhere during the summertime without a can of bug spray.
16. Leave fish carcasses on the banks instead of throwing them in the water… where they belong.
C'mon people! Help keep our riverbanks clean.
17. Approach a wild animal in the middle of the, ahem, WILDERNESS.
Or in middle of civilization for that matter…
18. Try to feed the wildlife or leave food outside to bait them closer to you.
Please just stop while you're already so far behind.
19. Promise someone that the Northern Lights are going to come out that night...
Or that the mountain will come out that day.
Every Alaskan knows that, well, you just never know! With how quickly our weather patterns change up here, you just can't quite ever predict when you're going to have a clear day without clouds or a clear, dark nighttime sky.
20. Get embarrassed about going into public with a wolf on your head or a lynx around your neck.
We love our local pelts and furs in Alaska. Plus, you can't find anything that'll keep you as warm. When Alaska comes in like a lightning bolt and freezes you to the core, these items come in very handy!
21. Complain about the cost of living.
You live in freaking ALASKA. Look around... It's worth it! If you feel otherwise, you need to move like yesterday.
If you enjoyed that, be sure to check out these
33 ways Alaska is America’s black sheep… and why we love it that way. Also, don’t miss these 21 things every Alaskan wants the rest of the country to know. For more great articles and incredible video footage from Alaska, be sure to check us out online HERE.