Sure, there are stereotypes about Vermonters, but we all have to admit some are true. Sometimes, anyway. Here are a few stereotypes that just
may be true. Do we argue these or embrace them? You decide!
1. You've worn a winter coat and shorts at the same time.
You never know what’s going to happen!
2. Someone in a Home Depot offers you assistance and they don't work there.
Vermonters know where to find the lug nuts, O rings and spakle without blinking an eye.
3. "Vacation" involves going anywhere south of Burlington for the weekend.
Obviously, this won’t apply to everyone, but the Woodstock Inn is ALWAYS a great vacation and no airplanes necessary to get there!
4. You’ve had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number.
Not only does the entire state have the 802 area code, each town (for the most part) has the same three digit prefix. So the chances are, if someone had the wrong number with area code and prefix, you knew who they were looking for… And probably had the correct number on hand to give them.
5. You measure distance in hours.
These roads are windy, and depending on the season (winter, mud, summer, construction, autumn, stick/mud and back to winter) the timing to reach a destination is nothing that can be measured on Google Maps.
6. You install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both unlocked.
Probably not something to advertise, but, yes, people often leave their keys in the car and their homes unlocked. The neighbors provide the best observations anyway.
7. You can drive 75 MPH through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching.
All Vermonters don't do this, but we could if we had to. A 45 minute drive could be done in 20 minutes if necessary. Just sayin…
8. You know several people who have hit a deer more than once.
This isn't hunting - it’s a wrong place at the wrong time scenario.
9. You switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again.
I'm guilty of this. All day, every day.
10. You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.
We have the best biceps around!
11. You’re going 80 MPH on the highway, yet everybody is passing you.
We can also move fast on our skis and bikes! Try to catch us!
12. You know ALL the seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, mud and road construction.
Detours and lane stops are necessary to fix the roads from the brutal winters. You don’t need a calendar to remind you when it’s time to take the “back way home.”
13. You find 10 degrees "a little chilly.”
OK, I bundle up in a cozy sweater (coat optional) but some Vermonters are hard core!
14. If you actually understand these jokes, please forward them to all your Vermont friends. We're all friendly people.
Let’s all laugh! It’s funny because it’s true.