Austin May 31, 2016
15 Facts About Austin You Never Knew Were True
Have you been keeping up to date with your knowledge about Austin? These little tidbits are pretty good to keep in your back pocket. We’re a pretty prideful bunch of residents and these facts about Austin will give you an even greater appreciation of the city.
1. Austin's population GREW during the Great Depression. Yep, UT's enrollment actually almost doubled during this time as well.
2. The Texas State Capitol was built to be 10-feet taller than the U.S. Captiol - Everything really is bigger in Texas!
3. Austin is home to the largest urban bat colony in North America - Some 1.5 million bats during peak season.
4. Austin is one of the safest (and happiest) cities in the nation.
5. Austin gets about 300 days of sunny weather year-round. Amazing!
6. Austin is known to be one of the nation's "drunkest" cities.
7. Austin has its very own Bigfoot - named Hairy Man, who allegedly lives on Hairy Man Road.
8. Whole Foods was founded in Austin by two college dropouts - John Mackey and Rene Hardy. They worked and lived in the store until the business was successful enough for them to get a place to live.
9. Austin was completely under water until the late Cretaceous era.
10. Austin is ranked one of the most dog-friendly cities in the U.S. with its 12 off leash parks, dog friendly restaurants, and hotels.
11. Austin is the largest U.S. city without stock in a pro sports team, but that's okay - Who needs pro when you have college ball?!
12. We have had more than 13 Bevos, and they have been known to cost over $3,000 to care for in food and maintenance.
13. Austin has no state, local corporate, or personal income taxes.
14. Austin has the highest annual book sales in the nation - Smart cookies!
15. Austin is really the live music capital of the world - There are around 2,000 bands and artists in the city and almost 200 live music venues throughout.
Were any of these facts about Austin new to you? Any other tidbits about the city that we didn’t mention? Feel free to share in the comments.