When people find out you’re from Rhode Island, you never know how they’ll react. Will they ask if it’s part of Massachusetts? Will you have to explain that it is not actually an island, but there are several islands that are technically part of the state? Here are 15 questions we’ve all had to answer about our little state.
1. Is that part of Massachusetts?
People really do ask us this question and we have to explain that we are in fact a different state.
2. Is Rhode Island really as small as they say?
We always smile when we answer this one. What they don't know is how great our little state is. While it might be small, that means we have easy access to great food, fun attractions, beaches, you name it!
3. Do people from Boston have the same accent?
No. You might find some similarities, but it's just not the same.
4. Why don't they just divide it up between Connecticut and Massachusetts?
What? Why would we ever do that?
5. Is it really an island?
Unless you're from another country, we really can't give you a pass on this one. We have some really nice islands, but no, not ALL of Rhode Island is an actual island.
6. You must get a lot of snow. How do you deal with all of it?
We have our ways. It generally involves a shovel, ice-melt, and a "Gansett," or two, but we get by just fine.
7. Do you spend all your time at the beach?
As much as possible, but don't ask us which beach because it's a secret.
8. If you're from Rhode Island you must know my second cousin, Jake Something. I can't remember the name of the town, but do you know him?
Some people assume that because the state is so small, we all know each other. While sometimes this feels like it's true, we don't actually know everyone that has ever lived here.
9. Why is I-95 through Providence so nuts?
Oh you mean the part they've moved several times, is under constant construction, has 90 degree turns, left and right exits, and continuous traffic? You get used to it.
10. So where does Family Guy take place?
This is open to interpretation, but given the accents many of us would agree its some combination of Cranston and Johnston.
11. Do you get tired of seafood?
What kind of ridiculous question is that? Never.
12. Do you really need coffee syrup? Why don't you just put milk in your coffee?
If you don't know the difference, we can't explain it to you.
13. Wasn't Rhode Island founded by criminals?
Our founder may have been kicked out of his colony, but he was seeking religious freedom and we wouldn't have it any other way.
14. What is Rhode Island going to change its name to?
Few people realize that the official name of Rhode Island is actually still "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations." Every now and then we see an effort to strike the "and Providence Plantations" part to recognize the state's history of slavery. Somehow out-of-staters just assume we're going to change our name entirely and we're not sure where they're getting that idea.
15. Does anyone ever leave Rhode Island?
No, not really. This answer is pretty easy.
These are all real questions Rhode Islanders have been asked on more than one occasion. Can you think of any others?