The 1950s seem like such a golden age. Back before the Internet and cell phones, life was slower paced. Or, perhaps everything just looked better in black and white. Here are 19 charming photos of Rhode Island in the 1950s.
1. Adult reading room
Libraries have clearly changed a bit since the 1950s.
2. Union Station, Providence
3. Repairs on Red Bridge
4. Display at the Providence Industrial Exposition, May 1950
Back when books were the only way to find out about your industry!
5. Blackstone River Flood, Woonsocket, 1955
6. WPRO Radio Program, 1951
I'm not sure why they're all sitting on the floor...
7. Working on a fishing boat, Newport
8. Central Library Music Department, Providence
Before teenagers had iPods and streamed music on their phones, they sat demurely in skirts and sweater sets and played records.
9. Signing that bill that made University of Rhode Island a university, 1951.
10. Rocky Point Park, 1953
Summers were hot back then, too.
11. Tennis Champs, Newport Casino 1953
Don't you love those tennis whites?
12. Atlantic Tuna Tournament, Narragansett, 1953
13. Central Library Card Catalog, 1954
Imagine how much harder it was to find a book without computers!
14. Hurricane damage, Point Judith, 1954
15. Company Christmas Party, 1954
Apparently, no one got crazy at office parties back then.
16. Rogers High School Cheerleaders, Newport 1956
17. Sonny Rollins and Miles Davis, Newport Jazz Festival, 1957
Can you imagine seeing Miles Davis and Sonny Rollins live?
18. Public Library Hospital Service, 1959
19. Children's library program, 1959
Is it just me, or does that teacher in the middle of the photo look like she's ready to strangle that little girl?