There’s something in the air or the water that has allowed Illinois to assume its position as probably the most terrifying state. We just have a penchant for being totally scary. Why? Well, here are nine reasons.
1. We are home to Stateville Correctional Center.
This was the home of some of the most notorious criminals in America and the scene of their executions.
2. And we produced John Wayne Gacy.
He dressed up like a clown, and that is scary as you know what.
3. Your chances of being the victim of violent crime are fairly good.
Americans think Chicago is the most dangerous city in the United States. But most of them haven't heard of Rockford.
4. Abandoned, creepy asylums are still standing.
The Peoria Asylum still stands, and some people think it's haunted.
5. Also, we have possessed children.
Lurancy Vennum--a 13 year old Illinois girl who was possessed--was the first documented case of someone being possessed in America.
6. Basically all of Alton is haunted.
Alton has repeatedly been called the most haunted small town in all of America.
7. We have tons of haunted cemeteries.
Like Bachelor's Grove. Dude, that place is haunted.
8. And Chicago has plenty of bad juju to lead to scary encounters.
Seriously, guys, what is this?
9. Walking through parts of southern Illinois can give you the shivers.
Many towns were flooded and never recovered. The ghost towns can be creepy to walk through.
What other reasons is Illinois totally spooky and terrifying? Let us know in the comments.