Colorado February 06, 2016
These 20 Photos Of Colorado In The 1960s Are Mesmerizing
The 1960s were a time full of big changes (the British Invasion, Moon landing and Flower Power) and unrest (Cuban Missile Crisis, President Kennedy’s assassination and the Vietnam War) in the United States. The world was quickly evolving and the Centennial State was too, as shown by these 20 mesmerizing photos:
1. "Samuel Coulter, whom Coulter Mesa near Rifle is named after, built a cabin next to a creek. After he abandoned it, beavers dammed the creek, and thus Sam's cabin ended up in the middle of the creek." (1960)
2. "Leona standing by the sign holder that Grandpa Crockett made. A few years ago, it still held the sign, but some rocks were falling down. It's somewhere on the road between Vega Dam and Silt." (1960)
3. "Glenwood Springs Pool." (1961)
4. "Meeker, Colorado 4th of July parade." (1961)
5. "Astronaut M. Scott Carpenter, pilot of the Mercury-Atlas 7 (MA-7) mission, and his wife participate in a postflight parade in Boulder, Colorado." (1962)
6. "Terry and Judy probably near De Beque." (1962)
7. "Sign reads 'Lake Granby Shadow Mountain National Recreation Area constructed by the Bureau of Reclamation of the National Park Service." (1963)
8. "Harvey Gap fishing." (1963)
9. "Verlin Lawson with Denise Williams & his '32 Ford coupe at Garden of the Gods, 1964."
10. "Homestake." (1964)
11. "View from Castle Rock, Colo., to the north after the 1965 flood."
12. "View of damage from June 1965 flood of Plum Creek. Several damaged white buildings are in the photo, including what looks like at least two sheds and a house with the front wall torn off. The base of a metal windmill is visible in the background, and a cement step or foundation is in the foreground. Several large trees are still standing, and other trees and brush are strewn throughout the photograph. A small view of Plum Creek is visible in the background."
13. "California Zephyr entering the east portal of Moffat Tunnel June 19, 1966."
14. "Our hike was terminated by this glacier on Rollins Pass. June 19, 1966."
15. "Name those cars!" (Garden of the Gods, 1967)
16. "Mad Stingray Style - Evergreen, Colorado." (1967)
17. "Judy and Leona by Little Falls (Cascades)." (1968)
18. "Ski Patrol Families at Lunch - Geneva Basin, Colorado." (1968)
19. "Cheryl in (Fort Carson) Colorado, 1969."
20. "The Broadmoor, Colorado Springs, 1969."
Did you live in Colorado during the 1960s? Share your memories in the comments!