Wyoming April 28, 2017
The Once-Abandoned Place In Wyoming That Has Been Transformed Into A Small Town
All it takes is a little imagination, creativity and foresight to make something out of nothing. That’s what happened with this once abandoned place in Wyoming that was transformed into a small town.
The small town of Bar Nunn is in Natrona County which is located in the central-eastern portion of the state. This little town got its start in a rather unusual way.
The quaint little town of Bar Nunn was actually built on an abandoned airfield. The town was founded in the '70s by Romie Nunn and named after him.
Casper Municipal Airfield was named Wardwell Field after a pioneer in the field of aviation. Major Doyen Wardwell died in a plane crash nearby in 1930. It was Natrona County's official airport until 1952.
In 1954, Romie Nunn, a local rancher, bought the airport. His intentions were to turn the airfield into a horse center.
In 1958, Nunn began to subdivide the land which evolved into the Bar Nunn Ranch Subdivision. In 1982, the subdivision officially became the Town of Bar Nunn.
What use to be runways turned into streets with homes constructed throughout. The town has a total area of 2.10 square miles and a population of around 2,800. Interestingly enough, Bar Nunn has led the state with its population growth.
The airplane hangar was also put to good use. In 1990, the hangar became Bundy's Marine.
Then in 2016, the hangar became a bar and grill known appropriately as The Hangar. This is a favorite hangout among the locals.
The town of Bar Nunn that evolved from nothing has earned its spot on the map.
For another abandoned spot in the state, check out
The Remnants Of This Abandoned Hospital In Wyoming Are Hauntingly Beautiful.