Follow The Wisconsin River Along This Scenic Drive Through Wisconsin
Wisconsin’s namesake river has always beckoned travelers. The Wisconsin River runs more than 400 miles through the state, from the far, wild Northwoods to the rural dairy county in the south. The lower section of the river bends westward toward the Mississippi River and it’s skirted by a wonderful scenic driving route. The 100-mile drive is called Scenic Byway 60 and it follows the river through Wisconsin’s gorgeous Driftless Region on Highway 60. Here’s what you need to know about one of the most scenic drives near Madison, Wi.
To help prepare for your adventure along one of the top Wisconsin scenic byways, feel free to reference our ultimate road trip packing list guide.
After going on this adventure, how about taking more scenic drives in Wisconsin? For instance, here’s an unforgettable trip up the Door County peninsula that we think you’ll enjoy.
More to Explore
Scenic Drives Near Madison WI
What are some of the best scenic drives in Wisconsin along backroads?
Here are some of the best scenic drives in Wisconsin along backroads:
- Highway 77 from Minong to Hayward: We recommend hitting this northern route in the fall so you can enjoy the colorful foliage.
- Lake Shore Road from Manitowoc to Sheboygan: Experience epic water views when you take this stunning drive along Lake Michigan.
- Highway 131 from Gays Mills to Tomah: Enjoy stunning landscapes as you zip along this route which goes through a state park and nature reserve area.
What are some popular Wisconsin road trips?
In addition to going on a drive along Wisconsin scenic byways, here are some popular Wisconsin road trips:
- Epic Cheese Lovers Road Trip Through Wisconsin: Get ready to do a happy dance if you're a huge fan of cheese. On this adventure, enjoy numerous stops at dairies and more throughout the state.
- Wisconsin One Tank of Gas Road Trip: This affordable and scenic outing goes by stunning landscapes and historical points of interest.
- Wisconsin Fall Foliage Road Trip: If you love autumn as much as I do, plan for a day of driving when you hit an array of vantage points with impressive views of the foliage.