Milwaukee May 30, 2018
11 Awkward Moments Every Milwaukeean Has Endured At Least Once
Living in Milwaukee is a unique experience, and we tend to stick to our habits. Everyone knows that awkward feeling you get when something just isn’t right, and there are some moments that are specific to Brew City. To let you know that you’re not alone in this feeling, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most common awkward moments everyone from The Good Land can relate to.
1. When someone tells you Kraft is real cheese.
This is barely food, let alone cheese.
See the text at the bottom of the packaging? It says "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product," and it's legally required to call itself that because it's NOT cheese.
2. Visiting another city and being told there's no PBR at the bar.
What kind of sad, sad place is this?
3. "Real dairy comes from California."
You may have seen this line in advertisements, and it just makes us laugh. Even this cow looks like it's rolling its eyes. Wisconsin is nicknamed
Dairyland for a reason!
4. Only having access to ice cream instead of frozen custard.
Ice cream is okay... but it’s just not the same.
5. There are only hot dogs at the cookout.
We want brats! We want brats! We want brats!
6. Being asked if you live on a farm.
This awkward moment happens far too more than it should. Despite being a major city, people hear "Wisconsin" and instantly think "farm."
7. Not understanding someone when they pronounce a street or town name wrong.
Where are you trying to go? Oh! Wauwatosa! Milwaukeeans have some
, but at least let us try to teach you before blurting out a botched attempt.
8. When you’re at a Brewers game and no one bets on the sausage race.
What are you supposed to do? Just watch them?
9. Someone calls this a "water fountain."
No... it’s a bubbler.
10. Work gets called off because of bad weather.
This doesn’t happen often, but when it does the whole city is feeling awkward because we’re all out and about anyway.
11. Overhearing someone bad mouthing Milwaukee and you actually intervene.
This one is out of character for Milwaukeeans, as we’re the nicest people you’ve ever met, but sometimes we just can’t hold it in. We’re fiercely proud of our city, and after hearing negative news in the headlines, we can’t help ourselves but set things straight. It's one of the few times we just might break the stereotype of "Midwestern charm."
Have you experienced any of these painfully awkward moments while living in Milwaukee? What others did we miss? We’d love to hear your input in the comments!