Take This Road Trip To The Most Charming Highway 42 Towns In Wisconsin
The Door County Peninsula is one of Wisconsin’s most popular tourist destinations but travelers to the county face a choice. What highway to take? Highways 42 and 57 split just north of Sturgeon Bay, and both roads offer a spectacular journey north up “the thumb.” But some of the county’s most charming towns in Wisconsin are on the west side of the county and Highway 42 will take you through all of them.
Here’s what’s waiting for you on the trip, which will cover about 26 miles and take 46 minutes. But that’s if there’s no traffic and you don’t stop, which is not very likely on this trip! Plan for a day or more to explore these places. If you’re considering making the drive more of a trip itself, be sure to use our ultimate road trip packing list to make trip preparation a breeze!
Have you visited these towns in Wisconsin? What did you think when you were there? Leave a note in the comment section. We would love to hear about your experience.
Get more ideas of things to do in Door County, as well as places to stay, when you check out the Door County website. If you decide to venture beyond Gills Rock, you can take a trip down the windiest road in Wisconsin you’ll ever travel!
More to Explore
Places To See In Wisconsin
What are some of the best nature lover road trips in Wisconsin?
Wisconsin is a gorgeous state to see and explore, and a road trip is an excellent way to do just that. Here are some of the best road trips to take in Wisconsin’s natural beauty:
- See beautiful waterfalls on this waterfall road trip in Wisconsin.
- Explore the unknown on this road trip of Wisconsin’s least-visited state parks.
- This road trip will take you all around Devil’s Lake.
- Explore another highway on this Highway 51 road trip.
- Wisconsin will really show off its beauty on this scenic Wisconsin road trip.
- You won’t believe the beauty of this road trip through Wisconsin’s lavender fields.
What are some of the most charming small towns in Wisconsin?
If you’re looking for a place to get away from it all, there are plenty of charming small towns in Wisconsin to choose from. Any of the following places would be a great option:
- Viroqua in Vernon county
- Tomahawk in the Northwoods near the Wisconsin River
- Mineral Point is Wisconsin’s third oldest city
- Richland Center is just west of Madison
- Stockbridge is on the edge of Lake Winnebago
- Belgium is an oasis just north of Milwaukee
- Ladysmith is in northern Wisconsin with a charming downtown district
You can find out more information about these and other small towns in Wisconsin when you check out this article.