You'll Want To Visit The Snowiest Town In West Virginia This Season
Terra Alta is a small town in West Virginia’s Preston County. The name means “high land,” and its elevation of 2,630 feet is perfect for attracting lots of snow. In fact, it’s the snowiest place in West Virginia! With places like Alpine Lake Resort, this is where you’ll want to be during the winter in West Virginia.
Be sure to check with Alpine Lake Resort for current hours of operation and amenities. For more interesting small towns in West Virginia, check out this small-town road trip. Have you been to any of these places? Let us know your experiences in the comments.
More to Explore
Winter Fun in West Virginia
What are the most unforgettable winter destinations in West Virginia?
The most unforgettable winter destinations in West Virginia include.
- Snowshow Mountain Resort. Located in Snowshoe, this place not only has all levels of skiing areas but offers skiing and snowboarding lessons as well.
- West Virginia State Museum. Come here to get out of the cold and learn all about the history of West Virginia.
- Bruceton Mills Luminaria. There’s something truly magical about seeing 2,500 glowing luminaries lighting up a winter night.
- Fasnacht. This festival in Helvetia is one of the oldest Yuletide events from Switzerland where masked revelers light up Old Man Winter.
Find out more about the most unforgettable winter destinations in West Virginia.
What are the most relaxing winter getaways in West Virginia?
The most relaxing winter getaways in West Virginia include:
- Charles Town. This quaint old town is home to the Old Opera House Theatre Company and the Jefferson County Museum.
- Hillsboro. This is an excellent location to see frozen waterfalls and then pay a visit to the Pearl S. Buck Birthplace Museum.
- Weston. This little town is known for having a ton of glassblowers and craftsmen. See their shops and visit a library in an old house from 1875.
- Vienna. This town has some amazing chocolate and you can get pampered at the Oasis Salt Cave.
Learn more about the most relaxing winter getaways in West Virginia.
What are the most breathtaking winter destinations in West Virginia?
The most breathtaking winter destinations in West Virginia include:
- Helvetia. This little Swiss village has so much European charm and is the most quaint winter destination.
- New River Gorge. This place is as beautiful and awe-inspiring in the winter as it is in every other season.
- Twin Falls Resort State Park. This is the place to go to experience a Pioneer Farm from the 1830s.
- Coopers Rock State Park. Come here to experience stunning views across over 12,000 acres of natural beauty.
Discover more about the most breathtaking winter destinations in West Virginia.