West Virginia May 21, 2017
9 Strange Habits Every West Virginian Will Defend To The Death
If you’ve lived in West Virginia most of your life, you’ve probably picked up some quirks that are a little bit different from the rest of the country. Or is it that the rest of the country is doing things wrong? Whatever the case, we’re not about the change anytime soon. Maybe we’re a little strange, but we can’t imagine life any other way.
1. We know a lot about West Virginia's counties.
All those tiny towns are hard to keep track of, so being familiar with the counties is important if you want to tell people how to get around.
2. We sing "Country Roads" at the drop of a hat.
We can't get too far before we long for those country roads to take us home.
3. We take college football very seriously.
Sometimes a little too seriously... you don't want to be that guy known for drunkenly burning a couch. But some strong enthusiasm is welcome!
4. We'll call ourselves "Eers."
Or Mountaineers, if you prefer. We're proud to live in the mountains, and anyone who jokes about West Virginia is missing out.
5. Hot dogs are more than just a food, they are a way of life.
You can't go more than a few miles without running into a hot dog joint.
6. It's not a West Virginia dog without sauce and slaw.
Or is it just sauce? This hotly debated topic helps to define Northern versus Southern West Virginia.
7. We forage for some of our favorite foods.
Ramps, morels, paw paws... some of the tastiest treats are found in the wild.
8. We think any occasion calls for Fiesta ware.
The brightly colored, art deco styled dinner ware is sure to cheer up any kitchen. Best of all, it's made right here in West Virginia!
9. We call it West "By God" Virginia.
Don't confuse us with Western Virginia. It's West, by God. We're a whole state, and quite proud of it.
What weird habits have you picked up living in West Virginia? Let us know in the comments!
For more of what makes West Virginia unique, find out
11 ways West Virginia is America’s black sheep (but we love it that way).