These 10 West Virginia Songs Will Hit Home For Sure
West Virginia is the only place that I will ever really call “home.” My family has lived in West Virginia for many generations. My parents were born and raised here, and my family will stay in West Virginia until we leave this Earth.
I’ll never love a place as much as I love this mountain state!
Check out these ten videos of AMAZING songs about West Virginia!
1. “Leaving West Virginia” by Kathy Mattea
2. “West Virginia, My Home” by Hazel Dickens, covered by Kathy Mattea
Hazel Dickens, recently deceased, is one of West Virginia’s finest folk singers and was an all-around amazing lady.
3. “Ride On Nancy Hart” by Hominy Falls
Nancy Hart, born in Roane County and died in Greenbrier County, was an incredible heroine in the Civil War!
4. “Coal Camp Memories” by Hominy Falls
Hominy Falls is an amazing bluegrass band! Maybe I’m biased, though, this is my Dad’s band!
5. “West Virginia Wildflower” by Stacy Grubb
Stacy Grubb is a magnificent West Virginia wildflower, herself! Check out her music on Youtube, she is simply amazing!
6. “Take Me Home, Country Roads” by John Denver
No matter where you go in West Virginia, if you even so much as hum the tune to “Take Me Home, Country Roads,” everyone will bust out into song and finish it out! This song is unofficially a West Virginia anthem.
7. “Girl From West Virginia” by Saving Grace, covered by The Zolla Boys
These boys were absolutely awesome!
8. “Country Boys Can Survive” by Hank Williams, Jr.
While this entire song isn’t completely about West Virginia, we certainly can relate! Hank Williams, Jr. talks about West Virginia coal mines in this song.
9. “The West Virginia Hills” by Ellen King, covered by John Lilly
This is one of West Virginia’s state songs.
10. “This Is My West Virginia” by Iris Bell
An oldie, but a goodie. This is another of West Virginia’s state songs.
West Virginia has such amazing and beautiful songs! And rightfully so, have you seen this place? We have the most stunning mountains, jaw-dropping autumn seasons, and prettiest sights that you will ever lay your eyes on.
What is your favorite West Virginia song? Comment below!