10 Gorgeous Lakes In West Virginia That You Must Check Out This Summer
West Virginia has some of the most beautiful waterways you’ll find anywhere, and everyone should carve out some time in the summer to visit at least one of them. Here are some of the best lakes in West Virginia where you can sit back, relax, and enjoy the summer sun while splashing the day away.
Did your favorite West Virginia lake make the list? Let us know in the comments below!
The next time you’re at the lake and also want to add camping to your adventure, why not consider renting an RV? Check out RVShare, where you can find the perfect RV rental to add to your outdoor memories!
More to Explore
best lakes in West Virginia
What are the most beautiful beaches in West Virginia?
West Virginia may be a landlocked state, but that doesn’t stop us from enjoying a beach day right in our own backyard. West Virginia’s lakes and rivers offer some of the most stunning scenery, and if you know where to look, you’ll also find some beautiful beaches, too.
- Surrounded by towering trees and mountains in the distance, Sutton Lake has one of the most beautiful beaches in West Virginia, and you can even rent a houseboat if you’d like to extend your stay.
- Jennings Randolph Lake is home to Shaw Beach and is maintained by the US Army Corps of Engineers. Be sure to check out their Facebook page for various summer fun activities on the beach!
Can I camp right on the water in West Virginia?
Yes, you can! There are plenty of campgrounds in West Virginia that offer picture-perfect views of the Mountain State. A few sites on the list include:
- Compound Nature Preserve is one of the best. The campground is nestled around a beautiful spring-fed lake that’s a lovely shade of blue and you can pitch a tent right on the water’s edge!
- Bluestone State Park has over 100 sites to choose from.
- It may be primitive, but you can't go wrong with the scenery at New River Gorge National Park & Reserve
Are there any inflatable waterparks in West Virginia?
One of the newest inflatable waterparks in West Virginia is the adventure lake at Tygart Lake State Park. The aqua park features 25 inflatable slides and obstacles just off the shores of Tygart Lake, as well as several lounge chairs to rest on after splashing the day away. The park also offers several boat rental options, a restaurant, cabins, and hiking trails to explore this little slice of paradise even more.