West Virginia October 08, 2017
10 Ways West Virginia Has Quietly Become The Coolest State In America
You probably instinctively know that West Virginia is the coolest of all the states, but maybe you’ve never thought about all the reasons why. Well, here are ten reasons why the Mountain State is the absolute best.
1. We have incredible natural wonders.
West Virginia is committed to preserving our natural beauty, with 2 national forests, 36 state parks, and a number of other protected areas.
2. Our state parks are world-famous.
Blackwater Falls State Park and Babcock State Park are some of the most photographed places in the country.
3. There's no better place to get a pepperoni roll.
In fact, it's uncommon to find these treats in other states. You can enjoy the snack and think of our mining history that inspired their creation.
4. We have one of the world's best telescopes.
The Green Bank Telescope is the world's largest fully steerable radio telescope, and has been used to make important discoveries about space. The observatory is available for tours and family activities.
5. We have the most charming small towns.
All over the state, it's easy to find places where life is still simple and friendly folks give you a warm welcome.
6. There's no better state to take a scenic train ride.
Check out some of the great train rides you can take around the state
7. Everywhere you look, you can find signs of history.
West Virginia played a strategic role in the Civil War, so there are plenty of important historical locations around the state.
8. Our state has some of the most fascinating monsters.
Where else can you find a statue, a museum, and a festival dedicated to the Mothman?
9. There are plenty of terrifying ghost stories, as well.
And we have great opportunities to meet those ghosts, like overnight tours of the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum.
10. Once you've lived here, you're always wanting the beautiful country roads to take you home.
West Virginia will always be in our hearts, wherever we go.
For more about life in the Mountain State, check out these
11 undying habits that West Virginians carry everywhere.