The Oldest Five And Dime Store In America Is Right Here In West Virginia
Five and Dime stores were once popular across America, bringing joy to shoppers with helpful household items, cheerful toys, and penny candy. Most of the original West Virginia general stores from the early 1900s have been sold or torn down, making this the oldest store in West Virginia. If you’re looking for things to do in West Virginia, a visit here feels like stepping back in time.
Find out the history of Berdine’s from its owner:
You can visit Berdine’s Five And Dime at 106 North Court St, Harrisville, WV 26362.
Have you been to this beloved five and dime in West Virginia? What did you think? Share your experience in the comments! If you’ve not visited yet, make sure to add it to your bucket list.
Do you have any favorite general stores in West Virginia? Let us know in the comments.
More to Explore
The Most Charming Shops in West Virginia
What are the most charming general stores in West Virginia?
The most charming general stores in West Virginia include:
- The Lost River General Store. This building was constructed in 1989 and was once the local post office and an inn.
- Colabrese Old General Store in Thomas. This shop opened in 1934 and is now the only original store left in the whole town.
- Long Mountain General Store. This old store has a wide variety of goods including McCall’s Candles, Fiestaware, Case Knives, and much more.
- O’Hurley’s General Store. This store in Shepherdstown is beloved by locals, especially for its cat who loves to welcome visitors.
Learn more about the most charming general stores in West Virginia.
What are the best antique shops in West Virginia?
The best antique shops in West Virginia include:
- Stray Dog Antiques in Charleston. This place has three floors of amazing antique jewelry, furniture, and knick-knacks. It’s one of the best West Virginia antique stores.
- Somewhere in Time Antiques in Nitro. This quaint shop with an old-fashioned feel has all kinds of adorable and intriguing antiques.
- Granny’s Attic in Buckhannon. As one of the most quaint antique shops in West Virginia, this place sells locally handcrafted crafts, gifts, and furniture.
- Bunker Hill Antique Associates in Bunker Hill. You’ll find 35,000 square feet of antique and vintage goods here. Antiquing in West Virginia doesn’t get much better.
Discover more about the best antique shops in West Virginia.
What are the best thrift stores in West Virginia?
The best thrift stores in West Virginia include:
- Encore in Gassaway. This little store has tons of nostalgic toys, vintage clothes, and various household items, and donates proceeds to the local community.
- Love Once Again Thrift Store in Martinsburg. This thrift store uses its income to support the American Diabetes Association and The Berkeley County Humane Society.
- Mountain Mission in Charleston. With two locations, these stores have wonderful goods and help out local families with emergency aid.
- Animal Friends Thrift Shoppe in Morgantown. The sales of the lovely used items here assist a local no-kill animal sanctuary.
Find out more about the best thrift stores in West Virginia.