West Virginia April 20, 2015
You Won’t Need A Penny For These 18 Awesome Things To Do In West Virginia
We have all been there. You’re sitting around bored, its your day off, and pay day hasn’t rolled around yet! Well buckle up, these 18 free things to do in West Virginia will keep you entertained.
From taking in the Earth’s natural beauty to learning about the history of our state at monuments and memorials, these free things to do won’t leave you bored. And you can learn so much from them!
1) Visit the Mother's Day Shrine in Grafton, WV.
This is the church that Mother's Day was very first celebrated!
2) Visit the waterfalls of West Virginia!
Our state has many beautiful waterfalls, all free to view! Pictured above is the Blackwater Falls in Davis, WV.
3) Go look at the beautiful hand-made pieces of art at Blenko Glass.
Blenko Glass, located in Milton, WV, has been in business since 1893! Isn't the stained glass pictured above just jaw-dropping?
4) Tour the West Virginia State Capitol.
The Capitol of West Virginia is easily one of the most beautiful buildings in the state! You can learn so much history from touring this Capitol building.
5) Visit one of our state's battlefields.
Pictured above is the Carnifex Ferry Battlefield State Park, which is located in Summersville, WV. I absolutely LOVE learning about how our state has changed history!
6) Take a drive down these country roads.
Other than paying for gas, taking in the beauty of this state can definitely be done by taking a drive down a country back road!
7) Visit one of 17 covered bridges in West Virginia!
Pictured above is the Philippi Covered Bridge, which was used by armies of the North and South in the Civil War.
8) Take in the amazing fall leaves.
Seriously, is there any place in the world so amazing?
9) Tour the Governor's Mansion in Charleston, WV.
For a small fee, you can tour the first floor rooms of the Governor's mansion.
10) Go to one of our many State Parks!
Pictured above is the beautiful Hawk's Nest, located in Ansted, WV.
11) Visit the Huntington Museum of Art, located in Huntington, WV.
The Huntington Museum of Art is free for kids K-5th grade on Saturdays!
12) Visit one of the State forests!
Pictured above is the beautiful Kanawha State Forest, located in Charleston, WV.
13) Go see one of our amazing bridges! (And maybe jump off them!)
Pictured above is the New River Gorge Bridge, which is home to Bridge Day in West Virginia, where people willingly jump off of bridges!
14) Hang out at one of the beautiful parks with your family!
Pictured above is Ritter Park, located in Huntington, WV.
15) Go swimming in one of our beautiful rivers!
Although the swimmer pictured above probably wasn't intentionally swimming, they were swimming nonetheless! Our beautiful rivers are the back ground to many of my favorite childhood memories.
16) Take a hike!
You can see some of the most AMAZING sights by simply taking a hike in this beautiful mountain state. Pictured above is the river bends of the Potomac River!
17) Go see the Veteran memorial at the Capitol complex grounds.
The Veteran Memorial honors more than 10,000 West Virginians that made the ultimate sacrifice defending this country.
18) Visit the Replica Liberty Bell, located in front of the West Virginia State Capitol.
This replica Liberty Bell is one of the 53 Liberty Bell replicas in the world.
Some of these definitely depend on the season, but since summer is coming up, almost all of them apply!
There are many more things to do than just these 18, I could have gone on for days! I didn’t even mention visiting any of our amazing libraries or bookstores, bike riding, or any of the free concerts! West Virginia has so much to offer, so you should never be bored.
What is your favorite free thing to do in West Virginia? Comment below!