Washington December 02, 2016
It’s Not Christmas In Washington Until You Do These 12 Enchanting Things
Whether you have a huge family that celebrates the holidays or you’re just trying to survive the season, you probably have a few seasonal traditions. You might not even be aware of them, but it won’t feel like Christmastime until you’ve experienced them.
These are a few examples:
1. Go to your local tree lighting ceremony.
Nearly every city and town has an annual tree lighting ceremony or some kind of parade to kick off the holiday season. Check your local publications, because quite a few of them will happen this weekend.
2. Check out a holiday market.
From our small town craft fairs to our huge holiday markets like Puyallup’s Victorian Country Christmas Festival, nothing will get you into the Christmas spirit faster than a seasonal marketplace.
3. Go to Leavenworth.
If you can make it to our Alpine village during December, you’ll fall in love with it all over again.
4. Visit the Lights of Christmas in Stanwood.
Head to Warm Beach Camp at 20800 Marine Drive to see over one million lights on display.
5. Catch a glimpse of the Christmas Ships on Lake Union in the Seattle area.
If you’re on the west side, the Christmas Ship Festival is a must-see.
6. Drive through the neighborhood in town that always goes all out for the occasion.
You know the one.
7. Ride the Polar Express.
Washington has several “Polar Express / North Pole” trains, and they’re all awesome. This is a photo of Mt. Rainier's version.
8. Listen to Christmas music on the radio even when you publicly claim to hate it.
Just once, turn up the volume and have a sing-along in your car. No one else has to know.
9. Participate in a holiday-themed 5K or pub crawl (whichever is more your style).
Seattle’s SantaCon is December 17th this year. It’s as awesome as it looks.
10. Watch a classic Christmas movie on cable.
"A Christmas Story," anyone?
11. Bake cookies. Eat way, way too many of them.
12 Make excuses to keep going downtown because it’s just that beautiful.
Our Main Streets look dazzling in December… and even though they’re constantly crowded, you can’t resist them.
Could you use some holiday cheer right now? Head to one of
Washington’s enchanting Christmas towns this weekend.