Washington May 24, 2017
10 Awkward Moments Every Washingtonian Has Endured At Least Once
What would life be without the occasional awkward moment that makes you want to hole up in your home for the next year? We’re no stranger to those slightly cringeworthy moments here in Washington… in fact, if you grew up here, we’re betting some of these will sound familiar.
1. Opening the laptop or picking up the phone and being slammed with spoilers to your favorite show.
Life on the West Coast is a blessing, but it's also occasionally a curse.
2. Getting lost in Seattle.
Maybe you live in the Emerald City. Maybe you avoid it like the plague. But if you don't have at least one "lost in Seattle" story, you probably don't live in Washington.
3. Getting ahead of ourselves when it comes to betting on our sports teams.
Those of us who were so confident that the Seahawks were going to win the Super Bowl in 2015 that we ran our mouths felt a little bit like poor Left Shark the next morning.
4. Speaking of sports teams, who among us hasn't proclaimed, "This is their year!"?
Awkward. We still love you, though, Mariners.
5. Traveling to a non-coastal state, ordering seafood from a restaurant that doesn't have it flown in daily, and realizing you've made a terrible mistake.
It's not that it's bad, necessarily... it's just that we have it so very good in Washington.
6. Talking politics (or religion) in front of people you don't know.
You can never assume someone's political or religious affiliations here in Washington, despite what others may tell you. You may end up in a heated argument or with your foot in your mouth. But it's something most of us will learn from experience.
7. The perpetual awkwardness of the four way stop.
"You go." "No, you go." "Go ahead." ... until everyone dies of old age.
8. Joining a rant about how terrible Starbucks is... and then going to Starbucks.
Sometimes it's the most convenient option, OK? Leave us alone.
9. Having to explain this sign.
This wasn't our idea, OK? Seriously, leave us alone.
10. And then there's this.
Who said anything about D.C.?
It may be a little awkward at times, but life here in Washington is still pretty great. In fact, we happen to think