Washington October 16, 2017
9 Totally True Stereotypes Washingtonians Should Just Accept As Fact
Growing up in Washington means that people from other parts of the country will make assumptions about you. And while some of those stereotypes are silly, inaccurate or
just plain ridiculous, we fully admit that there is some truth to a few of them.
It’s probably time we start arguing these points and just accept — and embrace — them.
1. While the rumor that all we drink is Starbucks is false, the stereotype that we love our coffee is accurate.
Not EVERY Washingtonian drinks coffee, but those of us who do can be quite particular about our orders.
2. Many people on the East Coast think Washingtonians are laid back. And for the most part, they're right.
We may as well embrace our "go with the flow" attitudes. Perhaps it's because of the legal marijuana.
3. We're in love with the great outdoors.
Can you blame us?
4. We do, in fact, love our North Face.
Don't knock it 'till you try it.
5. We're completely obsessed with our pets... especially dogs.
Look at this face.
6. It's true that many of us are snobs about our wine and beer.
If loving good quality booze is wrong, we don't want to be right.
7. There is that whole thing about umbrellas.
This really depends on where in the state you live (Eastern Washingtonians aren't nearly as used to rain) and what kind of hair you have (we protect our freshly-straightened locks). But, in general, we do tend to avoid umbrellas.
8. Some love them, some don't... but the fact is, Washington breeds musicians like nobody's business.
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Macklemore, Dave Matthews, Jimi Hendrix.. we could go on and on.
9. While this applies to just about every state these days, we admit that, yes, there is a Starbucks on every corner here.
Starbucks was born here, so you can't really blame us.
One thing about Washington that is definitely true:
It’s highly underrated.