Virginia September 12, 2016
15 Sure-Fire Ways To Make A Virginian Mad
We all know that Virginia is for Lovers. We are notoriously polite, engaging, and will love nothing more than to talk about our beautiful home state. But even this cordiality has its limits, especially when faced with particular behaviors or comments that seem to really push our collective buttons. So here are the 15 sure-fire ways to really make a Virginian mad:
1. Point out that Virginia "isn't really the South"
This one's a complicated issue and largely depends on who you're talking to, but most Virginians will correct you when you deny its southern roots.
2. Or assume all of the state is just farmland and country
Being southern doesn't mean being an entirely rural state either. Venture into northern Virginia and you will truly feel as though you have entered a different part of the country. That's just the beauty of living in a state as diverse as VA.
3. Say that you've seen more beautiful leaves elsewhere
There's just no WAY it gets any prettier than this.
4. Drive painstakingly slow, or way too fast down our scenic routes
It's pretty simple: if you'd like to admire the view, there are plenty of pull-offs. And conversely, trying to speed down these roads is just downright dangerous.
5. Wonder why we make such a big deal of history around here
Between Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, and all the Presidents who called Virginia home, it's hard to know where to even begin with this one...
Why would you ever compromise the beautiful landscape??
7. Claim Virginia barbecue is "nothing to write home about"
...We'll just assume you've never tried it then.
8. Argue that Virginia doesn't have any "real mountains"
We'll defend these beautiful blue peaks til the end of time.
9. Order seafood from a chain, when dishes like this exist fresh from the Bay.
Opting for the fast food alternative is just foolish when we've got the real deal.
10. Comment on the accent
The truth is, there are so many different accents in Virginia ranging from very southern to not at all. If you happen to hear a "y'all," don't assume everyone says it and definitely don't start making fun.
11. Claim that California is the only state that makes decent wine
The state has 230 wineries and counting. If you've never tasted Virginia wine, you owe it to yourself to do so soon.
12. Construction traffic
Or really any traffic in general. It may be unavoidable, but we're never too happy about it.
13. Ask if Virginia has any real beaches
There's no point in even justifying this absurd question with an answer.
15. Questioning the greatness of ham biscuits
Virginia ham is one of our finest products, and when paired with a homemade biscuit will create the most heavenly combination.
15. Make fun of our state slogan
We're probably too busy loving life to answer the ridicule anyway.
So what did you think? Are there any more items you’d add to this list of things that are sure to make a Virginian mad? We’d love to hear from you!