Virginia March 22, 2017
16 Things You Quickly Learn When You Move To Virginia
While Virginia is a beautiful, highly-livable state, there are certain things that have to be learned in order for one to feel completely at home here. Whether they be odd traditions, unusual tastes, or bizarre phenomena, life in Virginia can be something of an acquired taste. But we promise it won’t take long to love. So whether you’ve lived here 5 years or 50, here are the 16 things you quickly learned when you moved to the Old Dominion.
1. Yes, this really is our state slogan!
This slogan originated from a travel brochure in 1968, and we haven't looked back since.
2. How to live it up, especially with a new vanity plate.
Virginia is also for lovers of clever vanity plates. You mind find this bizarre, but you'll quickly join the trend.
3. Fall in Virginia is picture perfect.
4. And so is spring.
Summer and winter are equally as stunning, also. You'll love living in a state that experiences all four seasons.
5. Virginia has several distinct areas and no two are alike.
The bustle of Northern Virginia is so different from rural Southern Virginia that the two could seem like different states altogether.
6. You'll quickly learn to fall in love with these mountains.
The Blue Ridge Mountains may not be the tallest in the country, but they'll take your breath away.
7. That you won't need to leave the state for a getaway vacation.
Virginia Beach and other spots along the coast offer a little slice of paradise, even during the off season.
8. How to navigate your way around these tasty morsels.
Crab picking is a skill you'll definite acquire if you're passionate about Virginia's delicious seafood.
9. You might never have a free weekend again.
Between festivals, live music, breweries and more, there's something going on just about every weekend.
10. Taking the long way around isn't so bad.
Unless you're pressed for time, always opt for the scenic route.
11. Come summer time, humidity WILL find you.
No one is safe.
12. Southern cooking is an art form.
Even some of the fanciest restaurants in Virginia serve up these homemade classics.
13. Everyone is convinced that he or she knows the best burger joint (or pizza place, BBQ spot, etc.) in town.
Virginians are passionate about delicious cooking, and it can spark some serious debate. Luckily, you can't go wrong with any local recommendation.
14. Virginians have immense pride for all things local.
Whether it's a local store, vineyard, art gallery, or farmers market, you can count on plenty of opportunities to support local business around here.
15. How to navigate the great outdoors.
There's just something about living in a naturally beautiful state that seems to bring out the adventurer in everyone. Before you know it, you'll be hitting the trails and gazing out at the incredible scenery.
16. Virginia will always be home.
Even if you weren't born in Virginia, you'll feel a special tie to this magical state in no time.
Can you relate to these things? What would you add from your own personal experiences? We’d love to hear from you! For more Virginia-related content, be sure to read about these
15 Things That Virginians Are The Best At.