Virginia July 18, 2016
15 Surefire Ways To Always Spot A Tourist In Virginia
Virginians have an interesting relationship with tourists. On the one hand we applaud their destination choice – there’s certainly no better place to visit than VA – and yet we also find it a bit frustrating that they don’t seem to grasp our way of life. If they did, they’d be living here, of course! But most of all, and always in good fun, we enjoy spotting them from miles away. The clues may not seem obvious to everyone, but there is no mistaking a tourist who exhibits any of these 15 following traits:
1. Someone who tackles driving in the snow as if it were no big deal.
These brazen drivers are a little too snow-experienced to be from Virginia.
2. Anyone who opts for the fast food.
There's nothing wrong with a little fast food, but Virginians know about all the local burger joints that will serve a much tastier alternative.
3. Any driver surprised by traffic on I-95, at any time of day.
Unfortunately all the honking in the world can't fix traffic build-up.
4. A tourist will most likely have difficulty pronouncing some of the town names here.
5. Someone who might be baffled by even the slightest hint of a beautiful Virginian southern accent...
Not everyone in Virginia says "y'all," but no one is alarmed by it either.
6...Or expects Virginians to fit into a Southern stereotype mold.
Some folks have no hint of an accent at all. Expecting the unexpected is what makes this state the wonderful place that is is.
7. Anyone who refuses to try the heavenly nectar that is apple butter.
Why would you ever deprive yourself of this experience?
8. A tourist might assume Washington D.C. is part of Virginia.
So close, yet so far away.
9. Someone who has never encountered Virginia's windy mountain roads.
These roads should be traveled with the utmost care and caution, but most Virginians have had plenty of practice.
10. A tourist might not be able to handle the summer humidity.
We barely can!
11. Anyone who finds this sort of reenactment completely baffling.
Virginians know it's just part of the amazing, everyday life in Colonial Williamsburg.
12. You might overhear a tourist exclaiming that they never knew Virginia had so many mountains...
14...or nationally-renowned state parks.
Virginia is for adventure lovers.
15. A tourist will visit one of Virginia's many historic sites and could potentially be learning this information for the very first time.
It's easy for us Virginians to forget that not everyone in the country learns about Virginia's history from an early age.
For anyone planning to visit the glorious state of Virginia, keep in mind that we love our visitors and will be thrilled to point out some must-see locations. Just don’t act surprised if we’re able to pick you out of the crowd! For further reading, you won’t want to miss these
25 Things You Should Never Say To A Virginian – And The Responses You’ll Get If You Do.