Virginia November 15, 2015
22 Things You Know Are True If You Went To A Small High School In Virginia
Small schools, like small towns, are much the same anywhere you go – and some truths are universal. But for those of us who went to a small school in Virginia, we know that there’s just something special about the experience. And although we acted like we hated every second of it, the friends we made and the experiences we had have shaped us for a lifetime.
1. Your teachers have taught your siblings, your cousins and probably your parents. And they've called you by the wrong name at least once.
2. Tryouts are just a formality. You're going to make the team. Let's be honest, they need the numbers.
3. You and your best friend are going to date the same person at some point. Just try not to do it at the same time.
4. On senior skip day, you went to the local swimmin' hole.
5. You didn't mess up in class, because parent / teacher conferences were not limited to the classroom. They're going to happen at church, at the grocery store or wherever your teacher runs in to your parents. And they WILL run into your parents.
6. When you listed all of the clubs, sports and activities you were in on your college applications, it sounded a LOT more impressive than it actually was.
7. Your high school graduation took less than an hour.
8. Your football coach also coached the basketball team and baseball team - and probably taught driver's ed.
9. You racked up the senior superlatives.
10. When you went on the requisite Williamsburg / Luray Caverns / Mount Vernon / Monticello field trip, everyone could ride on the same bus.
11. Your prom was held in the gym.
12. On the first day of hunting season, you knew who would be absent in homeroom.
13. Staying home to help with the tobacco/corn/soybean harvest was an excused absence.
14. You knew the first, middle and last name of everyone in your class - and probably the class above and below.
15. There was no such thing as a secret.
16. And being the first to get the dish on "the new kid"? That was like the Holy Grail of gossip.
17. You had your name in the local paper every time you made honor roll or were in the Christmas parade or the homecoming court.
18. You couldn't WAIT to go away to college.
19. But when you go there, you finally understood what it felt like to be a little fish in a big pond.
20. This is where your college friends thought you went to school...
21. And this is where you thought they went...
22. And in the end you realized, that hey, it really hadn't been so bad after all…
If you went to a small school in Virginia, then you’re sure to relate to at least a few of these! But if we’ve left anything off the list, be sure to let us know in the comments below!