Virginia March 24, 2018
12 Surefire Ways To Spot Someone Who Just Moved To Virginia
Here in Virginia, we love to welcome out-of-staters who are sometimes just arriving to our lovely state for the first time. In fact, you may be surprised by how easy it is to spot someone who has just arrived to the Old Dominion for the first time. Here are some surefire clues that will help you spot — and welcome! — a newcomer:
1. They might be utterly baffled by fall foliage
Here in Virginia, we get to enjoy all four seasons, and an out-of-towner may just be experiencing fall colors for the first time.
2. They might do a double take upon seeing this in Colonial Williamsburg:
While we always admire the living museums fo Colonial Williamsburg, we're hardly surprised by them!
3. An out-of-towner may become suddenly overwhelmed by the mountain fog
...and rightly so!
4. They may ask for clarification when hearing "the Rivah" in everyday conversation
It's just one of those phrases you'll get used to the longer you live here
5. An out-of-towner may be completely shocked that Virginia has such incredible mountains
Sure, there are taller mountains in the country...but the mountains of Virginia may be the most beautiful in the world.
6. They might mistakenly think that it only takes 2 hours to get from Richmond to Washington D.C.
We veterans of I-95 understand that you should account for at least 30 minutes of added traffic, no matter the time of day.
7. They might opt for a generic beer.
Anyone who's spent time in Virginia has most likely enjoyed the incredible local brews.
8. An out-of-towner may not know exactly how to pronounce some of our small town names...
9...and they may find some of them to be quite amusing
10. They may wonder how winter can look like this...
There's just no predicting weather patterns here in Virginia.
12. They may ask what "Virginia is for Lovers" really means
And should you hear this question, you can gladly respond that Virginia is for lovers of all things Virginia!
What do you think about this list? Is there anything you would add? We’d love to hear from you! For related content, you may enjoy reading about
These 10 Things That Will Always Make Virginians Think Of Home.