Vermont July 30, 2017
19 Undying Habits That Prove You Can Never Take Vermont Out Of The Vermonter
You can take the Vermonter out of Vermont, but you can’t take the Vermont out of the Vermonter. Check out this list of habits that Vermonters can’t seem to shake.
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life as we all practice social and physical distancing. While we’re continuing to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, we don’t expect or encourage you to go check them out immediately. We believe that supporting local attractions is important now more than ever and we hope our articles inspire your future adventures! And on that note, please nominate your favorite local business that could use some love right now:
1. Harsh weather isn't anything a Vermonter can't handle.
No matter the season, they're ready.
2. A Vermonter will always feel a great burst of pride whenever they're asked where they're from.
Vermont, and PROUD OF IT! Bonus points if you've ever had to explain that Vermont is a State. Insert eye roll here. And speaking of eye rolls....
3. They will involuntarily roll their eyes when people claim their state has the best foliage.
4. They'll look at every stream or trickle as a potential swimming hole.
This is how the best holes are discovered. And often kept secret!
5. They can't help but greet strangers.
Vermonters are known to give a genuine "hello!"
6. They'll wear shorts in "cold" weather.
When you've grown up with Vermont winters, "cold" is a relative term.
7. They'll never truly trust the weather reports.
Only In Your State/Kristin Grimes
They can tell the weather by the clouds, sunset, temperature, knees, and good old fashioned gut feelings.
8. They will always be hard workers.
Plain and simple.
9. If they're in a rural area, they won't lock up.
Keys are used for opening beer, not locks.
10. They'll always see the beauty in abandoned places.
After all, everything is incredible in its own way.
11. Every once in awhile, they'll mysteriously drop the "t" in words that actually have one.
Example: Moun'ain. Enough said.
12. They will alway believe that all food should be farm fresh.
Yup, they're right! From farms to stands to markets, fresh is best and always available.
13. The word "creemee" will come to mind the second someone mentions going to get ice cream.
Sure, it's refreshing everywhere, but it just won't be the same... Or as tasty!
14. They’ll get antsy when there are more than three people ahead of them at a stop sign or stop light.
Traffic? What's that?!
15. Ditto for at a check out line.
Vermonters are fast, efficient, but still have time to shoot the breeze in a timely fashion.
16. They have incredibly high maple syrup standards.
Even McDonalds had to conform to use real stuff based on Vermont laws.
17. They have a radar for potholes.
Roads can get pretty rough, and each season brings its own challenges. Vermonters can adapt in no time.
18. They judge every craft beer that they're offered.
With more breweries per capita than any other state (not to mention the home brew hobbyists), beer is just something they know and love.
19. They'll always want to check out the local fairs.
From big fairs to small, if there's one going on, a Vermonter will want to go!