The Toxic Blue-Green Algae Responsible For Killing Dogs Around The U.S. Has Been Found In Vermont

Potentially dangerous algae has been discovered in Vermont. The toxic freshwater bloom has been directly linked to the recent deaths of two dogs.

Known as cyanobacteria or blue-green algae, this phenomenon poses a threat to both people and animals. Here’s what you need to know and how to avoid exposure.

We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life as we all practice social and physical distancing. While we’re continuing to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, we don’t expect or encourage you to go check them out immediately. We believe that supporting local attractions is important now more than ever and we hope our articles inspire your future adventures! And on that note, please nominate your favorite local business that could use some love right now: https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nominate/

Due to the rapidly shifting nature of cyanobacteria blooms, it’s not helpful to list currently affected sites. Please visit the state’s online tracker to see up-to-date information on which swimming spots are safe and which should be avoided.