It’s a fact – there is no place on earth quite like Vermont. Whether you’ve lived here a few years or all your life, when you leave you’ll certainly be longing for the way of life found in the Green Mountain State. However, if life happens and a move from VT is inevitable, here are a few things that will undoubtedly cross your mind as you adjust to a new, non-Vermont lifestyle.
1. What do you mean there’s no Town Meeting Day?
Nothing makes you feel a part of a community quite like voting at Town Meeting Day.
2. They call this soft serve ice cream?
First of all, it’s called a creemee. Secondly, there are way more flavors than just chocolate and vanilla.
3. You have to buy fresh berries at the store?
There’s nothing quite like a fresh, warm berry that you pick yourself.
4. It’s fall… Where are the colors?
Foliage anywhere else will never be the same as in Vermont.
5. I miss sugar on snow.
Only In Your State/Kristin Grimes
You won’t find this tasty treat easily if you’re not in Vermont.
6. Fake maple syrup? Yuck!
Vermont maple syrup will ruin the imitation stuff for life. It’s simply that good.
7. Why aren’t there any small town festivals?
Festivals bring out the whole community, and it takes a village of volunteers to make them happen.
8. Boy, this state park is crowded.
Vermont state parks are pristine and there is plenty of wide open space for everyone to enjoy.
9. Why is there a big sign on the highway?
OK, everyone probably knows what a billboard is but, when they are everywhere, it sure makes you miss the picturesque highways back home.
10. It takes HOW LONG to get to nature from here?
No matter where you are in Vermont, you're always close to nature.
11. Talk about over processed!
Organic farms are everywhere here, which makes our farm to table meals fresh and delicious.
12. Where is the farmers market?
Sometimes we forget that each town doesn’t have one when we leave the state.
13. I have to pay to exercise?
The outdoor activities are everywhere, so you don’t necessarily need a gym membership to work up a sweat. Besides, the fresh air and views are also free!
14. Budweiser will never be the king of beers.
Vermonters love their craft beer, and with more breweries per capita than any other state, you better believe we have some pretty great brews.
15. Glamping isn’t real camping.
Sure, we’ve all been known to do a little car camping now and again, but we know how to rough it.
16. Where is the small town charm?
From the architecture to the people, you’ll never find places like those in Vermont.
17. I’m ready for a change of seasons.
As much as we joke about mud season, stick season and road construction season, there is nothing like the glorious seasons in Vermont and all the unique things that come with each one.
18. Wow, the weather report really was right!
We love to expect the unexpected and we’re always prepared, but we don’t typically put a bet on an accurate report.
19. Why can’t one little store have it all?
We’d rather go to a mom and pop shop to get everything we need as opposed to a big franchise.
20. The people here are REALLY different.
Vermonters are strange and quirky folks, and we wouldn’t have it any other way. You don’t truly miss the friendly and helpful nature of the people, as well as the tight knit communities, until you don’t have them anymore.
21. I’m homesick.
There's no place like home.