Utah August 26, 2016
13 Sure-Fire Ways To Make A Utahn Mad
Utahns are known as some of the nicest, friendliest people in the nation. We’re generally pretty laid-back folks. But make no mistake…you CAN make us angry. Of course, this list is all in fun. We won’t kick you out of the state if you express some ignorance about the Beehive State. Of course, if you decide you don’t like it here, that just leaves all the Utah goodness for us!
1. Ask us if we’re polygamists.
Yes, about 2,000 Utahns are. The other 3.5 MILLION Utah residents are not. We’re doing well to keep one wife happy, thank you very much.
2. Drive in the left hand lane, at exactly the speed limit.
If you’ve spent more than a week here, you know that we tend to drive ever-so-slightly above the speed limit. What you’re doing is illegal and annoying.
3. Tell us you can’t get a drink here.
Yes, you can. Utah has plenty of bars and restaurants with liquor licenses.
4. Assume that there’s nothing to do here except ski.
While we do have the best skiing in the country, we also have tons of other outdoor offerings, such as hiking, boating, fishing and camping. And don’t forget our cultural offerings, which include a world-class symphony, opera, ballet and tons of theater productions.
5. Say that Utahns are “just a bunch of Mormons.”
Ok, first of all, Mormons only make up 60 percent of our state, so you’ve just dismissed a full 40 percent of us. Second of all...Mormons are friendly, nice people who will gladly give you directions to our nearest national park or ski resort.
6. Wrinkle your nose at our fry sauce.
Whatever. Stick to ketchup, then.
7. Assume that Utah is nothing but desert and sagebrush.
Well, clearly you’re wrong.
8. Tell us that you, “once drove through Utah” on your way somewhere else.
You missed out on a lot of really cool stuff.
9. Remind us that the Utah Jazz has never won an NBA title.
We’re perfectly aware. But thanks for the reminder.
10. Ask us if we know Donnie or Marie Osmond.
Of course we do...we have them over for dinner all the time!
11. Register your car in Idaho so you don’t have to worry about the Utah emissions test.
Shame on you. If you live in Utah, your car should pass Utah’s emissions requirements.
12. Complain about all the Californians who have crowded the state.
Well, actually...Utah’s growth comes mostly from inside. We have a LOT of kids here. They grow up, get married, build a house...and make our cities bigger. Utahns love it here, and we don't want to live anywhere else!
13. Go on and on about Boise State football.
If you love it so much, move back to Idaho. Here it’s University of Utah, BYU or Utah State.
So, these things might make us kind of upset, but that’s only because we know how awesome Utah is. If you’re not convinced, check out these
15 Reasons Why My Heart Will Always Be In Utah.