Utah March 05, 2016
by Catherine Armstrong 13 Struggles Everyone in Utah Can Relate To
We’ve already established that Utah is pretty much the best state in the country. But, we still have our struggles. Big or small, these are issues that Utahns face today.
1. Finding a car wash on a February afternoon when the inversion breaks.
When you experience that first sunny day after a long month of inversion cloudiness, you’re dying to wash the sludge off your car. So is everyone else.
2. Choosing your loyalties in the Holy War when you don’t even like football.
It’s kind of like the Superbowl...everyone around you expects you to wear either red or blue, in support of your team. If you don’t like football (or you’re a Utah State fan), too bad.
3. Passing off a store bought dish for homemade at your family party.
Many Utahns are great cooks, and your family probably has more than one. When that’s not you, but you’re called upon to bring a delicious, homemade salad or dessert, you might try buying something yummy at Harmon’s and putting it in your own bowl.
4. Finding a parking spot at the world’s largest Costco.
The Costco in Salt Lake City might be the world’s largest, but its parking lot sure isn’t.
5. Trying to get excited about voting.
If you’re a Democrat, you know that our red state will support the Republican candidate. If you’re a Republican, you know that your party is in the majority, so why bother going out in the cold on November 2nd? (Hint: Democracy, that’s why.)
6. Deciding which burger joint to patronize.
Utah has the BEST hamburgers in the country, but that presents a problem for Utahns. Do you grab a Crown Burger, head to Hires Big H or go for a giant burger at Lucky 13?
7. Running out of excuses to give your boss on snow days.
That fresh powder is calling to you...but you’ve used up all your sick days.
8. Coming up with creative ways to use up all that zucchini from your garden.
Utah zucchini is tasty, but when you’ve eaten it for 14 days in a row, you find yourself leaving it on your neighbor’s porch in the middle of the night.
9. Keeping your cool behind that driver in the left lane of the freeway who is travelling 50 mph...with his left turn signal on.
Find yourself a calming mantra to repeat over and over.
10. Figuring out how to pronounce (and spell) your niece’s and nephew’s names.
Utahns like to be unique, so they often spell their children’s names in strange ways. Trying to figure out how to pronounce them can be tricky.
11. Hoping that the Utah Jazz will replicate their 1996-1998 seasons.
Stockton and Malone are long retired...and the Jazz hasn’t been the same since.
12. Explaining that not all Utahns are polygamists.
When you have to travel out of town for work, and everyone wants to know all about "those Utah polygamists," it gets old fast. We have the show "Sister Wives" to thank for that.
13. Choosing a hiking trail, camping spot or lake.
Utah has so many to choose from, and you only have the weekend! Luckily, you really can’t go wrong with any of them.
What’s your “Utah struggle?”
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.