USA November 30, 2015
19 Eye-Opening Maps Of America That May Surprise You
The United States is one of the largest, most diverse countries in the world. With that comes a lot of interesting, surprising facts about not only the rest of the country but the state you live in. These maps are going to make you see the U.S. in a whole different way.
If you’re on a small device and came from Facebook, you can click any of the maps to see a larger version and tilt your phone to see more 🙂
1. What Each State Calls That Carbonated Beverage
Wow. Make up your mind, Alaska.
2. The Most Famous Brand
3. The U.S. If It Was Distorted By Population
Sorry, Washington, enjoy those potatoes in The State Formerly Known As Idaho. But the Dakotas with a coastline? I'm in.
4. The 3rd Most Spoken Language Behind English and Spanish
Sorry, Klingon and Pig Latin. Maybe next year.
5. The Most Popular Boys Name (2013)
Is it weird that I don't know a single Liam? I guess because they're all 2 year olds right now.
6. The Most Popular Girls Name (2013)
In 16 years, a lot of Emmas are going to get college roommates named Emma. Awkward.
7. The 2nd Most Popular Religion
Christianity still dominates America. That and 2 year old boys named Liam.
8. The U.S. With George Etzel Pearcy's Proposed 38 States
George Etzel Pearcy
This one took me a while to wrap my mind around. Basically, George Etzel Pearcy proposed that by redefining the borders, less large cities would be competing with each other for state tax dollars, effectively freeing up more money for projects that would benefit all citizens. It actually wasn't a bad idea, but Washington DC wasn't about to go near that. Too much paperwork and, you know, uprooting of EVERYTHING.
9. The Most Popular TV Show Set
Our good friends at BusinessInsider (jk, they don't even know us) created this perfect map showing the most popular TV shows set in each state. New Mexico takes the trophy here.
10. The Most Iconic Soft Drink
At first I thought Montana's was Squeeze-Its, which meant I had to move there immediately. But you might want to click this map to see it better. Squeeze-Its didn't make the cut anywhre. 🙁
11. The Leading Cause Of Death Behind Heart Disease And Cancer
But let's face it, cancer and heart disease are going to continue dominating this category.
12. Where The Most Immigrants Came From (2010 vs 1910)
100 years can make a huge difference. Just ask Mexico.
13. Parts Of The U.S. Where Nobody Lives
Pack up your family and a tent... and head west. There's plenty of space out there.
14. Dog States Versus Cat States
If you're a dog person living in a cat state, it's time to chase your tail out of there.
15. The Wealthiest Person
This map is also known as "The 50 Americans I'm Most Jealous Of." Information collected from
16. The Most Popular NFL Team Broken Down By County
The Broncos cover the most land. Too bad nobody lives in most of that area (see #19).
17. The Greatest Sports Figure From Every State
"Greatest" is such a subjective word, isn't it? Feel free to curse this map creator in the comments.
18. The Most Iconic Food Chain
The main takeaway here? I'm now hungry.
19. Where Half Of The Country Actually Lives
If you like your space, avoid the blue counties above because more than half of Americans live in those specific places. Yikes.
Did any of this surprise you? Or seem inaccurate? Feel free to discuss in the comments or share below.