Travel News August 14, 2018
by Lea Monroe The West Nile Virus Has Been Detected in 40 States – Take Caution When Traveling To Them
The last couple of years it seems as though one of the biggest outdoor issues that the country has been facing is dealing with disease-ridden ticks. From Lyme disease to Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, there’s certainly still a cause for concern when it comes to worrying about ticks. But now, according to the Centers for Disease Control, there’s another reason why you should make sure you’re applying your bug repellent before heading outside.
As of August 7th, according to the CDC and its most recent report, a total of 40 states have reported West Nile virus infections in humans, birds or mosquitoes in 2018. The virus is most commonly transmitted to humans through mosquito bites, and about 1 in every 50 people will develop a serious or potentially life-threatening condition.
The latest information states that a total of 106 cases of West Nile virus in humans have now been reported to the CDC. Out of the 106 cases, 58% of the cases were classified as having a neuroinvasive disease such as encephalitis or meningitis, while the remaining 42% were classified as having a non-neuroinvasive disease. To help prevent catching the West Nile virus, the CDC suggests that Americans cover up as much as possible during outdoor activities and to remove any standing water from your yards in things like buckets, boots, wheelbarrows, and hot tubs. To view the full report by the CDC,
List of states where the West Nile virus has infected humans:
District of Columbia
Do you know anyone who’s been affected by the West Nile Virus this year? To stay aware of what other diseases are going around the country, read about how
A Deadly Tick-Borne Disease Is On The Rise In These 5 States!
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.