Toxic Algae Has Contaminated Some Shellfish In Washington And If Eaten Can Cause Paralysis And Even Death
Toxic algae blooms have been occurring all over the U.S. this summer, and many Washington beaches are among the affected locations. Compounds known as biotoxins are produced by the aquatic plant, which are later stored in the flesh of shellfish who eat it. Harvesting of shellfish has been temporarily banned at certain beaches because humans can become paralyzed and even die upon consuming affected sea creatures. Here’s everything you need to know:
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life as we all practice social and physical distancing. While we’re continuing to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, we don’t expect or encourage you to go check them out immediately. We believe that supporting local attractions is important now more than ever and we hope our articles inspire your future adventures! And on that note, please nominate your favorite local business that could use some love right now: https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nominate/
Katie Lawrence is a Southeast Texas native who graduated 18th in her high school class with a GPA of 4.25. She attended college in the Houston area and changed her major twice (psychology, computer science, and finally criminal justice) before taking a leap of faith and dropping out to pursue a career in freelance writing.
Today, Katie writes for the Texas and Arizona pages of OnlyInYourState.com and has never been more passionate about a job before. Outside of work, you can likely find her curled up on the sofa with a hot cup of coffee, watching a crime TV show or scary movie.