Dating someone from Dallas – Fort Worth isn’t necessarily simple or stress-free. Locals have some mighty big expectations about courtships, and unless you are from the area as well, you may find some initial adjustments are in order before reaching relationship nirvana. The good news is that most North Texans still possess old fashioned manners and charm, are generous to a fault, and have really big hearts. So if you can make it through the first few dates, you’ll find that your Texas sweetheart is quite the catch. Here’s what you need to know beforehand:
1. Our Texas pride is unwavering.
We believe that the Lone Star State is the very best state in the nation, and won't compromise on our love of Texas!
2. We have a STRONG allegiance to either being a Dallasite or a Fort Worthian.
Be sure to know who you are dealing with when dating a local. There are differences, even though we live only 35 miles away from one another. Dallasites include all the suburbs to the east like Plano, McKinney, Garland, Rockwall, Frisco, Carrollton, and more.
Fort Worthians are those in Tarrant County and in the Mid-Cities area, including Southlake, Hurst, Euless, Bedford, North Richland Hills, Colleyville, Weatherford, Aledo, among others.
3. We'll argue that Dallas has the most incredible cityscape in the land, regardless of where we live in the Metroplex.
Between Reunion Tower's nightly light show, brightly illuminated buildings, and the views reflecting in the Trinity River, how can you possibly disagree?
4. We have hearty appetites and expect big portions.
Our love for Texas beef, cream gravy, peach cobbler, biscuits and gravy, and Tex-Mex doesn't leave much room for picky eaters. When we go out to eat, we plan to leave full!
Of course, jalapenos and spice are just part of being Texan!
5. We'd rather dine outdoors whenever the opportunity permits.
Our warm weather allows opportunities for year-round outdoor dining. Many of our bars and hangouts have outdoor areas as well. Cold? Look for seating around a space heater. You'll be fine.
6. The Texas heat is a blessing, not a curse.
Over 100-degrees? No problem! Dress accordingly, and don a hat if needed.
7. We crave outdoor time around here, and expect our partners to as well.
8. Bonus points are awarded for owning a dog.
We adore animals and being outdoors, so combining a walk on a date is extra special!
9. We love romance and aren't afraid to show it.
10. We prefer to take part in fun activities on dates, like play a game of billiards, go dancing, or get out and explore. There's too much to do to waste time just sitting around!
11. The water calls to us.
With countless lakes, fishing, camping, water sports, and more, don't be surprised if we suggest a date at a local lake.
12. NOTHING beats a Texas sunset.
While we're frequently on-the-go, sometimes we like to slow it down a notch and take in a spectacular North Texas sky.
13. We like things BIG.
Texans are bold, so forget the subtleties. Whether it's big houses, big hair, or big appetites, BIG rules supreme.
14. Even if we are now city dwellers, we still love our wide open spaces.
Lucky for us, the Dallas - Fort Worth area features plenty of small towns and undisturbed lands, countless parks, greenbelt areas, and plenty of room to roam only a short drive away,.
15. We cherish our Texas state flower, the Bluebonnet, and love taking pictures in the fields.
It's a tradition to take photos in our blue-and-orange fields each spring. If we ask you to take a photo in them, it means you are someone special!
16. We actually think this creature is kinda cute, and hope you do too!
If you don't know what a Texas armadillo is, we might suggest some Texas therapy. We expect our partner to share some of the same enthusiasm about the grandiose Lone Star State as we do!
17. Sports are our world year-round.
With professional teams in football, basketball, hockey, baseball, motorsports, rodeo, and more, we hope you are fans as well!
18. We are generous and have truly giving hearts.
We volunteer our time and would love for you to join in too. Our passion for helping others is one of the aspects that make us proud to be a Texan!
What other reasons make dating someone from Dallas – Fort Worth a good relationship risk? We’d love to hear about your lessons learned or things you think a newbie should know about dating someone from the Metroplex! Please share your comments below.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.