In 1977-1978, Dallas – Fort Worth Plunged Into An Arctic Freeze That Makes This Year’s Winter Look Downright Mild
Don’t laugh: it really does get cold in Dallas-Fort Worth. The difference between winters here in north Texas and winters in the northern states, however, is that it typically doesn’t stay cold for long around here. That’s because temperatures fluctuate wildly, from one extreme to the next, and can be totally wild. Locals frequently cite the adage, “If you don’t like the weather here in Dallas-Fort Worth, wait a few hours” or, “Welcome to Dallas: where you can experience all four seasons in a single day.” But the winter of 1977-1978 was different. This winter in Dallas was unlike anything we’d ever seen before – or since!
While this year was record-setting for north Texans, most of our winters are a little bit of cold followed by mild temperatures…and then repeat! It’s not unusual to see temperatures in the 70s or down to the teens. But isn’t that better than a constant, bone-chilling cold any day? It’s our spring that has more people talking…that’s when we get high winds, hailstorms, and tornadoes. But it’s just another aspect of living here, and we just wouldn’t be happier anywhere else.
Have you experienced a winter here in Dallas – Fort Worth, and if so, what are your thoughts on our climate? What are some of your favorite things to do in Dallas in the winter? Let us know!
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.
Does Dallas get cold in the winter?
- Does Dallas get cold in the winter?
Winter in Dallas is fairly mild, for the most part, with the exception of a couple of outstanding years. Average temperatures in Dallas during the winter are:
- December: High 58 degrees/Low 39 degrees
- January: High 56 degrees/Low 37 degrees
- February: High 61 degrees/Low 41 degrees
- March: High 69 degrees/Low 49 degrees
2. What is winter in Dallas like?
Winter in Dallas is still a time of great fun and plenty of things to do! Every so often, Dallas sees snowfall, and some winters are mild without any snow at all. Of course, there are lots of fun things to do in Dallas during the winter like:
- Dining in an igloo at the Adolphus Hotel
- Visit Grapevine, one of the cutest winter towns near Dallas
- Visit the Dallas Arboretum and check out the holiday lights displays
3. What is winter in Texas like?
Much like winter in Dallas, winter in Texas is (usually) pretty mild, though there have been severe winters with deadly ice storms and cold snaps that have occurred. Like Dallas, there are fun things to do in winter in Texas such as:
- Walk through a winter wonderland at the Gaylord Texan Resort
- Be amazed at the beauty of Palo Duro Canyon covered in snow
- Check out the indoor, year-round snow park in Little Elm
- Head over to the Kalahari Waterpark